Total tension in wire due to bird

In summary, the total tension in the wire is 613 N, as the tension in a continuous rope is the same all the way along and on both sides of any point where there is no sideways force. The term "total tension" is not used in the original question and may have been confused with "total force".
Subdot

Homework Statement

I have a conceptual question related to the exact problem in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=125801

Homework Equations

Same as in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=125801

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is why is the total tension 613 N? If you try and solve T1 = 9.81/(2sin(tan-1(0.200/25.0))), you get T1 = 613 N. However, T1 = T2. So wouldn't the total tension in the wire be 1,230 N (after rounding due to significant figures)? Could someone please explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Subdot said:
My question is why is the total tension 613 N? If you try and solve T1 = 9.81/(2sin(tan-1(0.200/25.0))), you get T1 = 613 N. However, T1 = T2. So wouldn't the total tension in the wire be 1,230 N ?

Hi Subdot! :wink:

The question asked "How much tension does the bird produce in the wire?" …

on the left, there is 613 N, and on the right there is 613 N …

so the tension in the wire is 613 N. :smile:

Hi! And so if I understand you right, "total tension" (which would be the total force the wire exerted on the bird, I guess) is not the same as just plain "tension" in a wire?

Out of curiosity, what would happen if the bird was not in the middle of the wire? How would you determine the amount of tension the bird causes in the wire then? Or would the tensions on either side of the bird still be the same?

Subdot said:
Hi! And so if I understand you right, "total tension" (which would be the total force the wire exerted on the bird, I guess) is not the same as just plain "tension" in a wire?

I've never heard of "total tension" …

it's not in the original question …

where did you get it from?​
Out of curiosity, what would happen if the bird was not in the middle of the wire? How would you determine the amount of tension the bird causes in the wire then? Or would the tensions on either side of the bird still be the same?

Tension in a continuous rope is the same all the way along.

Where it touches something, the tensions will still be the same on both sides provided there's no sideways force at that point, which in practice means no friction.

For example, most exam questions talk of "frictionless pulleys", because then the tension will be the same on each side of the pulley.

In the case of the bird, I think a lot depends on exactly how the bird attaches itself to the rope: that's why the question put the bird exactly half-way, so that it didn't matter. :wink:

Oh, I get it now. Thanks for the help! And "total tension" is a word I threw in there meaning the equivalent of "total force" acting on the bird from the wire. I probably got the word from the process of solving another problem involving tension.

1. What is total tension in a wire due to a bird?

The total tension in a wire due to a bird refers to the amount of force applied to the wire by the bird's weight and any additional forces, such as wind or movement, that may be acting on the wire.

2. How does a bird affect the tension in a wire?

A bird's weight, as well as any movement or wind it creates while perched on a wire, can increase the tension in the wire. This is because the bird's weight adds additional force to the wire, and any movement or wind can cause the wire to bend or vibrate, creating additional tension.

3. Can a bird cause a wire to break due to tension?

In most cases, a bird perched on a wire will not cause the wire to break due to tension. However, if the bird is particularly large or the wire is already under a lot of tension, it is possible for the wire to break due to the added weight and movement of the bird.

4. How can the total tension in a wire due to a bird be calculated?

The total tension in a wire due to a bird can be calculated using the formula T = mg + F, where T is the total tension, m is the mass of the bird, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and F is any additional force acting on the wire, such as wind or movement.

5. What factors can affect the total tension in a wire due to a bird?

The total tension in a wire due to a bird can be affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the bird, the strength and tension of the wire, and any additional forces, such as wind or movement, that may be acting on the wire.