Rotational Dynamics, Torque, and Tension

In summary: When you are dealing with static forces, like friction, the equation always stays the same. When you are dealing with dynamic forces, like torque, there are changes happening all the time and the equation can't always stay the same.
mirahj

Homework Statement

A man drags a 71.5-kg crate across the floor at a constant velocity by pulling on a strap attached to the bottom of the crate. The crate is tilted 22.5° above the horizontal, and the strap is inclined 64.0° above the horizontal. The center of gravity of the crate coincides with its geometrical center, as indicated in the drawing. Find the magnitude of the tension in the strap. (Image attached)

Homework Equations

torque = F * l

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the crate is not rotating, the torques must balance. From what I can
see, there are 3 total torques - two clockwise and one counterclockwise.

I set up my equations like this:

t1-t3 are the 3 torques.
T is the tension on the rope.
theta1 is the angle between the box and horizontal.
theta2 is the angle between the rope and horizontal.

Clockwise Torques
t1 = mg * .9/2 * cos(theta1) <--- Torque due to gravity

t2 = T * cos(theta2) * .9 * sin(theta1) <- Torque due to horiz. comp. of tension

Counterclockwise Torque
t3 = T * sin(theta2) * .9 * cos(theta1) <- Torque due to vert. comp of tension

Then,

t1 + t2 = t3 ; Solved for T.

I have a feeling I'm setting up the torque due to gravity wrong.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 9-p-028-alt.gif
    9-p-028-alt.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
mirahj said:
t1 = mg * .9/2 * cos(theta1) <--- Torque due to gravity
Imagine increasing the height of the box greatly. That wouldn't alter your equation above. Would it change the torque due to gravity? (Similar issue with the other torques.)

I'm thinking now that there is no torque due to gravity (no lever arm) and that the fact that the box is in equilibrium with a constant velocity has some importance.

That is, there is one equation for torque from tension: t1 = T*sin(theta2) * .45*cos(theta1)
and the other torque equation to cancel that one has to do with the normal force.

?

mirahj said:
I'm thinking now that there is no torque due to gravity (no lever arm)
For torque, you have to consider the line through which a force acts and how close this gets to the point about which you are taking moments. Since the box is uniform, gravity through its centre. Does the line of its action pass through the point of contact of the box with the floor? If not, how much does it miss it by.
and that the fact that the box is in equilibrium with a constant velocity has some importance.
Not much. It means you're dealing with dynamic friction, not static, but there are no accelerations, so forces must still be in balance.

Torque as per wikipedia: is the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis,fulcrum, or pivot.
Choose which of these it is and choose your rotation point on the crate.

As haruspex stated, if one of the forces (gravity) passes through the point, it will does not create a torque around that point. Hence the question: Does the gravity force of the create pass through this ppoint? If not, what is the minimum distance between the pivot point and the imaginary infinite line representing the force(perpendicular distance).

mirahj: I think you have a good understanding of torque, just take a step back and look at the basics.

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that rotate around an axis. It involves analyzing the forces and torques acting on the object to determine its rotational motion.

2. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is directly related to the angular acceleration of an object. The greater the torque applied to an object, the greater its angular acceleration and the faster it will rotate.

4. How is tension related to rotational dynamics?

Tension is a force that is often involved in rotational dynamics when an object is suspended or attached to a string or rope. The tension in the string or rope contributes to the overall forces and torques acting on the object and can affect its rotational motion.

5. How can I apply the principles of rotational dynamics to real-life situations?

Rotational dynamics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as understanding the motion of objects like wheels, gears, and pendulums. It is also important in fields such as engineering, where it is used to design and analyze structures and machines that involve rotational motion.