Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough Differential Equation (for me at least, and some others)

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

So, I tried putting this on the homework forum, but no one could think of a solution. So I'm going to put it here, hoping someone here would know...

How would you solve this?

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=5x^2-\frac{6}{y-2}[/tex]

Note: This is no longer homework (it was a challenge question, but the challenge was thrown out; the teacher found it too difficult), so don't worry about spoiling anything.

Also: So far, (I'm learning diff EQs independently, and the challenge question was for a Calculus class) I only know the methods of substitution and finding an integration factor. I've heard of transforms, though. Could any of them help? Laplace, maybe?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

That's a non-linear differential equation. Methods like the Laplace transform or methods you learn in an ODE course won't be of much help.

Wolfram alpha doesn't even give a closed form solution:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=solve+y%27%28x%29+%3D+5*x^2-6%2Fy%28x%29

(note that dy/dx = d(y-2)/dx, so you can make the substitution y - 2 = z, which I relabelled y)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook