Tough Differential Equation (for me at least, and some others)

In summary, the conversation is about a non-linear differential equation that the person is struggling to solve. They mention trying to get help on a homework forum but didn't find a solution. They ask for advice on how to solve it, mentioning their knowledge of substitution and integration factor methods but wondering if transforms like Laplace could be helpful. However, it is mentioned that these methods may not be useful for this type of equation and even Wolfram Alpha does not provide a closed form solution.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
So, I tried putting this on the homework forum, but no one could think of a solution. So I'm going to put it here, hoping someone here would know...

How would you solve this?

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=5x^2-\frac{6}{y-2}[/tex]

Note: This is no longer homework (it was a challenge question, but the challenge was thrown out; the teacher found it too difficult), so don't worry about spoiling anything.

Also: So far, (I'm learning diff EQs independently, and the challenge question was for a Calculus class) I only know the methods of substitution and finding an integration factor. I've heard of transforms, though. Could any of them help? Laplace, maybe?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a non-linear differential equation. Methods like the Laplace transform or methods you learn in an ODE course won't be of much help.

Wolfram alpha doesn't even give a closed form solution:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=solve+y%27%28x%29+%3D+5*x^2-6%2Fy%28x%29

(note that dy/dx = d(y-2)/dx, so you can make the substitution y - 2 = z, which I relabelled y)

What is a tough differential equation?

A tough differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It can be challenging to solve because it requires advanced mathematical techniques and a deep understanding of calculus.

Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they allow us to model and describe natural phenomena. Many physical and biological processes can be described using differential equations, making them essential tools for scientists in various fields.

What makes a differential equation difficult to solve?

There are several factors that can make a differential equation difficult to solve, including the complexity of the equation itself, the type of boundary conditions given, and the techniques used to solve it. Generally, tough differential equations involve nonlinear relationships, multiple variables, and complicated boundary conditions.

What are some common techniques for solving tough differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving tough differential equations include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and using power series. In some cases, numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods may also be used to approximate a solution.

How can I improve my skills in solving tough differential equations?

To improve your skills in solving tough differential equations, you can practice regularly, familiarize yourself with different solution techniques, and seek help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. Additionally, developing a strong foundation in calculus and understanding the underlying concepts of differential equations can also be beneficial.