Traits/talents necessary to succeed in MechE or EE.

• Thread starter Soliptic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary, the individual is considering studying mechanical or electrical engineering and is unsure if their perceived weakness in math will affect their success in these fields. They took an online IQ test and scored 135, but are questioning the validity of the results and wondering if general intelligence and motivation guarantee success at the undergraduate level. The response is that there are no guarantees in life, but having intelligence and motivation can be beneficial, and that online IQ tests may not accurately measure these traits. The individual is encouraged to focus on effort and study habits rather than their IQ score.
Soliptic
Hey there,
I am considering studying mechanical or electrical engineering next year. I have always been a fairly strong student, but recently since I started what would be the equivalent of AP calculus (In Ireland) and feel considerably weaker at maths compared to other subjects. On one hand I'm thinking that maths is obviously more difficult (in terms of objective reasoning) than say English or Biology, but on the other hand I wonder if there are certain traits or ways of thinking which are imperative for success in engineering/maths/physics?
So given this and the fact that one maths teacher said iq and maths ability are strongly correlated, I (probably naively) took the test at iqtest.dk and got 135 which probably means little, but my question is does general intelligence and motivation guarantee success at undergrad level?
Replies greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Soliptic said:
So given this and the fact that one maths teacher said iq and maths ability are strongly correlated, I (probably naively) took the test at iqtest.dk and got 135 which probably means little, but my question is does general intelligence and motivation guarantee success at undergrad level?
Replies greatly appreciated
No. And silly online tests are worthless, they mean nothing.

Last edited:
I am just starting college so I may not be qualified to say this but I think that the effort you put into learning mathematics is far more important than your IQ (I would tend to agree with Evo, it really means nothing). I was a really bad student in high school but my college GPA is a perfect 4.0; if you were a strong student then you already have developed the motivation and study habits required to excel at any subject so don't let your insecurities hold you back. I'm sure you will do just fine! Good luck and don't be shy because this is a great forum with many kind, helpful and intelligent people willing to give advice to neophytes like us!

To put it mathematically, effort is directly proportional to understanding/good grades! You can achieve your goals even if your IQ was 115 instead of 135.

Soliptic said:
does general intelligence and motivation guarantee success at undergrad level?

There are no guarantees of anything in real life (and it would be boring if there were, IMO.)

But having "general intelligence" and motivation is better than not having them. Just so long as you realize that IQ tests on the web probably don't measure anything meaningful.

I can say that while general intelligence and motivation are important factors in succeeding in any field, there are specific traits and talents that are necessary for success in mechanical or electrical engineering. These include strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, attention to detail, and a strong understanding of mathematics and physics concepts. While a high IQ may be correlated with math ability, it is not the only determining factor for success in engineering. It is also important to have a strong work ethic, perseverance, and the ability to work well in a team.

It is also important to remember that success in engineering is not just about academic performance, but also about practical skills and hands-on experience. It is important to have a passion for learning and a willingness to continuously improve and adapt to new technologies and techniques.

In terms of your concerns about your math abilities, it is important to remember that engineering is a challenging field and it is normal to struggle with certain concepts or subjects. However, with hard work and dedication, you can overcome these challenges and succeed in your studies.

Furthermore, while IQ tests may provide some insight into your cognitive abilities, they are not the sole determinant of success. It is important to focus on developing the necessary skills and traits for engineering, rather than relying solely on a test score.

In conclusion, while general intelligence and motivation are important, there are specific traits and talents that are necessary for success in mechanical or electrical engineering. With dedication, hard work, and a passion for learning, you can succeed in your studies and future career in engineering. Best of luck to you in your academic journey.

What are the most important traits for success in MechE or EE?

The most important traits for success in MechE or EE are strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, creativity, perseverance, and communication skills.

Do I need to be good at math to succeed in MechE or EE?

Yes, strong math skills are necessary for success in MechE or EE. These fields involve a lot of mathematical concepts and calculations, so having a solid foundation in math is important.

Is it important to have technical knowledge or hands-on experience?

Yes, technical knowledge and hands-on experience are crucial for success in MechE or EE. These fields require practical application of concepts and designs, so having the ability to work with tools and machinery is essential.

Are there any personality traits that are beneficial for success in these fields?

Yes, certain personality traits can be beneficial for success in MechE or EE. These include a strong work ethic, adaptability, and a willingness to learn and take on challenges.

Can I succeed in MechE or EE if I am not naturally good at these subjects?

While natural talent can be helpful, it is not the only factor in determining success in MechE or EE. With hard work, dedication, and a willingness to learn, anyone can succeed in these fields.