Transfer All PhD Credit Hours to US or Other Country

• Programs
  • Thread starter alnazera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: They often award the doctorate after the student has completed a minimum of three years of full-time teaching and research. In this case, they would be a "resident student". In summary, the PhD candidate is considering transferring credits from a university in Saudi Arabia to a US university in order to avoid having to spend a year as a resident at KFUPM. The option has a downside in that the candidate would not be able to work on their project while at KFUPM.
alnazera
Hello,

I am very happy with my first post in your forum and I hope I can get replies from many people.

I have a question if you can advise. I have completed all academic requirements toward getting the PhD (10 courses (30 hours) and comprehensive exam), My degree I want to get is a PhD Computer Science and Engineering. I wrote the proposal for the PhD degree. I am still working during the day and persuading my PhD degree as part time.

Now, the university in Saudi Arabia KFUPM (www.kfupm.edu.sa) is asking me to be full time resident in the university for one year as part of the PhD requirements which is too difficult to get from my company.

I was thinking of some options and I have question for you if you don't mind. One option out of the box I thought is to transfer my credit hours I have completed in KFUPM plus the comprehensive exam I have passed to a university in US (or other country) accredited as normal study not distance or online learning study and then doing only the dissertation there without being resident for one year, but may be resident for 1, 2 or 3 months which I can get from my vacations this year and next year. This option has a positive side other than avoiding the one year resident in KFUPM, which is getting the PhD degree from a second university other than KFUPM which I have got from my BS and MS. In the same time, I can still working on the same project proposal but with different team members .

This is a thought I want to ask you if it is a real option and there is university in US (or other country) that accepts that, with your recommendation.

Many thanks in advance for your advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not an option in the US. One cannot simply transfer credits at the graduate level.

Also, many US schools have residence requirements for Ph.D. students as well.

This seems awfully restrictive. I don't know if a professor will like the idea of hosting you as a student and have you only work on your own project?. I've heard of PhD students moving to other universities, but it is only before passing qualifying exams and others.

Pyrrhus said:
This seems awfully restrictive.

It is. The only situation in the US which a university will let you transfer is if a professor moves between universities in which case, they may be able to take their students with them.

UK has a very different system for Ph.D.'s.

What is the process for transferring PhD credit hours to the US or another country?

The process for transferring PhD credit hours varies depending on the institution and country. Generally, you will need to submit an official transcript of your completed coursework to the institution you wish to transfer to. They will then evaluate your credits and determine if they are eligible for transfer.

Can all PhD credit hours be transferred?

No, not all PhD credit hours can be transferred. Each institution has its own policies and may only accept a certain number of transfer credits. Additionally, some courses may not be considered equivalent or relevant to the program you are transferring to.

What factors are considered when transferring PhD credit hours?

Factors that may be considered when transferring PhD credit hours include the grade you received in the course, the institution where the credits were earned, and the relevance of the coursework to the program you are transferring to. Some institutions may also consider the accreditation of the previous institution.

What are the benefits of transferring PhD credit hours?

The benefits of transferring PhD credit hours include potentially reducing the time and cost of completing your degree, as well as providing a more diverse academic experience. It may also open up opportunities for collaboration and research at the new institution.

Are there any limitations to transferring PhD credit hours?

Yes, there may be limitations to transferring PhD credit hours. Some institutions may have specific guidelines for transferring credits, such as a time limit for when the coursework was completed. In addition, some programs may not allow transfer credits for certain courses or may require a minimum grade for transfer eligibility.