1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfering in Grad School (better immediately or after MS?)

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    So yes I was wondering is it better to apply for transfer to another PhD program in physics right away or after acquiring a Masters?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    I actually transferred while in graduate school, so I have some first hand experience on this. My research advisor took a new job and I wanted to continue my work with him so I followed him to the new institution.

There are a few things to consider when you transfer:
    1. Will your credits transfer?
    2. Is there a difference between the credits needed for graduation at the 2 schools?
    3. Have you taken the qualifying exams yet (aka PhD candidacy exams)? If you passed will it transfer?

Some schools treat students with a previous masters and those coming straight from undergrad in the same pool, some schools do not.

All of these things should be weighed before you choose whether to transfer before or after you masters.

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think this depends a lot on why you are transferring.

5. Oct 20, 2009 #4
    Well basically a combination of not really liking the location and wanting to go to a school that is academically better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook