Is it possible to transfer after one year of physics grad school?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
wjpirates
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Is it possible to transfer after one year of physics grad school??

Here is my dilemma. I was accepted to a physics phD program with full funding (TA + tuition). Almost a semester has passed and I am not entirely happy with my decision. I am becoming very interested in physics education and would like to transfer and do physics education research. We have a few professors here who list physics education as an interest of theirs, but there is not much of a formal, collaborative effort here. My main problem, however, is that my significant other who I have dated for 5+ years is in a professional program that requires her to live in DC (~300 miles away) for 5 YEARS, NO POSSIBILITY of transfer. Is it possible for me to transfer at the end of the school year (May) to somewhere closer to my SO. The school I am looking at is of equal merit and they have a physics education program also with TA + tuition funding. Is this possible and will it damage my reputation as a serious student?
Please Help? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I've seen transfers like this occur. Your reasons for transfering:

1. Research Interests

2. Proximity to serious girlfriend/boyfriend/fiance.

won't reflect badly on you as a student. These are serious and legitimate reasons for considering a grad school transfer. However, you should definitely make these reasons clear in your application somehow.

Also, as you've been through the process already, I won't belabor the point: Don't cut ties with the old program just yet. Grad school admissions can be somewhat random. Make sure you actually get into this school in D.C. before you make serious plans to leave.

In fact, contacting someone at your prospective school may be in order. You can learn about how they treat transfers in the application process, and talk to someone in the department about your personal situation.
 


An actual transfer is very rare. Usually one simply enters the new program.