Transformation of a Line Segment

In summary: Now I get it -- there was a typo in the left side of the equation. That expression should be T((1 - t)p + tq).
bwpbruce
$\textbf{Problem}$
The line segment from $\textbf{p}$ to $\textbf{q}$ is the set of points of the form $(1 - t)\textbf{p} + t\textbf{q}$ for $0 \le t \le 1$ (as shown in the figure below). Show that a linear transformation, $T$, maps this line segment onto a line segment or onto a single point.
Line Segment x to T(x).PNG

$\textbf{Solution}$
$\textbf{x} = (1 - t)\textbf{p} + t\textbf{q}$ and $0\le t \le1$
\begin{align*}T\textbf{(x)} &= T((1 - t\textbf{p}) + t\textbf{q}) \\&=T(\textbf{p} + t\textbf{p}) + Tt\textbf{q} \\&=T\textbf{p} + Tt\textbf{p} + Tt\textbf{q}, \text{ when } 0 < t \le 1 \\&=T\textbf{p} + T(0)\textbf{p} + T(0)\textbf{q}, \text{when } t = 0\\&=T\textbf{p}\end{align*}

Conclusion:
$\textbf{x}$ maps onto line $T\textbf{p} + tT\textbf{p} + tT\textbf{q}$ when $0 < t \le1$ or point $T\textbf{p}$ when $t = 0$

Please check for discrepancies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
@bwpbruce, I don't follow why T((1 - tp) + tq) = T(p + tp) + T(tq).
Thanks for pointing this out seven years later.

bwpbruce said:
Thanks for pointing this out seven years later.
I didn't see it when you posted it. We're in the process of responding to very old posts that haven't received any replied, and I happened upon this one.

Mark44 said:
I didn't see it when you posted it. We're in the process of responding to very old posts that haven't received any replied, and I happened upon this one.
I'm just glad you guys are still here.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
bwpbruce said:
$\textbf{Problem}$
The line segment from $\textbf{p}$ to $\textbf{q}$ is the set of points of the form $(1 - t)\textbf{p} + t\textbf{q}$ for $0 \le t \le 1$ (as shown in the figure below). Show that a linear transformation, $T$, maps this line segment onto a line segment or onto a single point.View attachment 308170
$\textbf{Solution}$
$\textbf{x} = (1 - t)\textbf{p} + t\textbf{q}$ and $0\le t \le1$
\begin{align*}T\textbf{(x)} &= T((1 - t\textbf{p}) + t\textbf{q}) \\&=T(\textbf{p} + t\textbf{p}) + Tt\textbf{q} \\&=T\textbf{p} + Tt\textbf{p} + Tt\textbf{q}, \text{ when } 0 < t \le 1 \\&=T\textbf{p} + T(0)\textbf{p} + T(0)\textbf{q}, \text{when } t = 0\\&=T\textbf{p}\end{align*}

Conclusion:
$\textbf{x}$ maps onto line $T\textbf{p} + tT\textbf{p} + tT\textbf{q}$ when $0 < t \le1$ or point $T\textbf{p}$ when $t = 0$

Please check for discrepancies?

Of course [itex]T(\mathbf{x}(0))[/itex] must be a single point; that's how functions work.

We have [tex]\begin{split}
T(\mathbf{x}(t)) &= T((1-t)\mathbf{p} + t\mathbf{q}) \\
&= T(\mathbf{p}) - tT(\mathbf{p}) + tT(\mathbf{q}).
\end{split}[/tex] What happens if [itex]T(\mathbf{p}) = T(\mathbf{q})[/itex], ie. when [itex]T(\mathbf{q} - \mathbf{p}) = \mathbf{0}[/itex]?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Mark44 said:
@bwpbruce, I don't follow why T((1 - tp) + tq) = T(p + tp) + T(tq).
Now I get it -- there was a typo in the left side of the equation. That expression should be T((1 - t)p + tq).

1. What is the transformation of a line segment?

The transformation of a line segment is the change in position, size, or orientation of the line segment. It can be described using translation, rotation, reflection, or dilation.

2. How is translation used to transform a line segment?

Translation is a transformation that shifts a line segment in a specific direction and distance without changing its orientation or size. It can be described using coordinates or vector notation.

3. What is the difference between rotation and reflection in the transformation of a line segment?

Rotation is a transformation that rotates a line segment around a fixed point, while reflection is a transformation that produces a mirror image of the line segment across a line of reflection. Both transformations can change the orientation of the line segment, but only rotation can change its size.

4. How does dilation affect the transformation of a line segment?

Dilation is a transformation that changes the size of a line segment by either enlarging or reducing it. It involves multiplying the coordinates of the line segment by a scale factor. Dilation can also change the orientation of the line segment if the scale factor is negative.

5. What is the difference between a rigid and non-rigid transformation of a line segment?

A rigid transformation is a transformation that preserves the size and shape of the line segment. This includes translation, rotation, and reflection. Non-rigid transformations, such as dilation, can change the size and shape of the line segment.