Transformation of observables by permutation

In summary: This means that the eigenvalues of the two operators are the same. This is why they use the same letter b for the eigenvalues.In summary, the conversation discusses two isomorphic state spaces, E(1) and E(2), belonging to a proton and an electron respectively, with the same spin. The operators B(1) and B(2) are defined on these spaces, with eigenvectors and eigenvalues denoted by |1,u_{i}\rangle and b_i for B(1) and |2,u_{j}\rangle and b_j for B(2). The tensor product of the two spaces, E, is also considered, with a basis |1,u_{i},2,u_{j}\
buttolo
Hi. Consider two isomorphic state spaces [itex]\mathcal{E}(1)[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{E}(2)[/itex]. The first belongs to a proton, the second to an electron and they both have the same spin.

#Let [itex]B(1)[/itex] be an observable defined on the first space, spanned by [itex]|1,u_{i}\rangle[/itex], eigenvectors of [itex]B(1)[/itex] with eigenvalues [itex]b_i[/itex].
#Let [itex]B(2)[/itex] be an observable defined on the first space, spanned by [itex]|2,u_{j}\rangle[/itex], eigenvectors of [itex]B(2)[/itex] with eigenvalues [itex]b_j[/itex].

Consider the tensor product of the two spaces: [itex]\mathcal{E}=\mathcal{E}(1)\otimes \mathcal{E}(2)[/itex] with basis [itex]|1,u_{i},2,u_{j}\rangle =|1,u_{i}\rangle \otimes 2,u_{j}\rangle[/itex]. [itex]P_{21}[/itex] is the permutation operator. What does [itex]P_{21}B(1)P^{\dagger}_{21}=B(2)[/itex] really mean? I know that:

#[itex]P_{21}B(1)P^{\dagger}_{21}|1,u_{i},2,u_{j}\rangle=b_{j}|1,u_{i},2,u_{j}\rangle [/itex]
#[itex]B(2)|1,u_{i},2,u_{j}\rangle=b_{j}|1,u_{i},2,u_{j} \rangle[/itex]

What I understood is: By putting [itex]B(1)[/itex] between the permutation operators I obtain from an arbitrary element of the basis the eigenvalue corresponding to the j-th element of the element of the basis belonging the to index [itex](1)[/itex]. By applying [itex]B(2)[/itex] to the same ket I obtain the eigenvalue corresponding to the j-th element of the element of the basis belonging to the index [itex](2)[/itex], but I don't get the point :uhh:

Im am studying that on Coehn-Tannoudji.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your question.
What does that mean?
It means what you wrote. the operator on the left is the same as the operator on the right.

exchange and make 1 into 2, and 2 into 1 (the action of the right P*[21])
act with B(1) according to your 1st premise above according to B(1).
then re-exchange 2 into 1, and 1 into 2 (the action of the left P[21])
it will give you the same result as acting immediately with B(2).

I guess that's it, and that's what you wrote.

B(1) acts on the vectors of the first space E(1)
B(2) acts on the vectors of the second space E(2)

[itex]B(1)[|1,u_{i}\rangle \otimes 2,u_{j}\rangle][/itex]
[itex][B(1)|1,u_{i}\rangle] \otimes 2,u_{j}\rangle[/itex]

[itex]B(2)[|1,u_{i}\rangle \otimes 2,u_{j}\rangle][/itex]
[itex]|1,u_{i}\rangle] \otimes [B(2) |2,u_{j}\rangle[/itex]

How can they be equal if they are different operators defined on different spaces? The only thing that they return equal is an index. I don't understand why Cohen-Tannoudji calls their eigenvalues using the same letter, b.

Last edited:
It is because the P takes your states from E2 and brings them to E1 and vice versa.
So in fact B1 acting on E1 sees the elements of E2 instead.

1. What is meant by "transformation of observables by permutation"?

The transformation of observables by permutation is a concept in mathematics and physics that describes how the measured values of physical quantities, or observables, change when the particles or objects being measured are rearranged or permuted.

2. How does permutation affect the values of observables?

Permutation can affect the values of observables in different ways. In some cases, the values may remain the same, while in others, they may change or even become completely different. This depends on the specific permutation and the properties of the observables being measured.

3. Is the transformation of observables by permutation related to symmetry?

Yes, the transformation of observables by permutation is closely related to the concept of symmetry. Permutations that result in no change to the values of observables are known as symmetries, and they play a crucial role in many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.

4. Can you give an example of how permutation affects observables?

One example is the exchange symmetry of identical particles in quantum mechanics. When two identical particles are exchanged, the observables associated with each particle, such as position or spin, remain the same. This is because the particles are indistinguishable, and their permutation has no effect on the overall system.

5. How is the transformation of observables by permutation used in practical applications?

The transformation of observables by permutation has various applications in physics, including in the study of fundamental particles, quantum computing, and cryptography. It is also used in mathematical fields such as group theory and combinatorics to analyze and classify symmetrical systems and structures.