Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation of observables by permutation

1. May 25, 2012 #1
    Hi. Consider two isomorphic state spaces [itex]\mathcal{E}(1)[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{E}(2)[/itex]. The first belongs to a proton, the second to an electron and they both have the same spin.

#Let [itex]B(1)[/itex] be an observable defined on the first space, spanned by [itex]|1,u_{i}\rangle[/itex], eigenvectors of [itex]B(1)[/itex] with eigenvalues [itex]b_i[/itex].
    #Let [itex]B(2)[/itex] be an observable defined on the first space, spanned by [itex]|2,u_{j}\rangle[/itex], eigenvectors of [itex]B(2)[/itex] with eigenvalues [itex]b_j[/itex].

Consider the tensor product of the two spaces: [itex]\mathcal{E}=\mathcal{E}(1)\otimes \mathcal{E}(2)[/itex] with basis [itex]|1,u_{i},2,u_{j}\rangle =|1,u_{i}\rangle \otimes 2,u_{j}\rangle[/itex]. [itex]P_{21}[/itex] is the permutation operator. What does [itex]P_{21}B(1)P^{\dagger}_{21}=B(2)[/itex] really mean? I know that:

#[itex]P_{21}B(1)P^{\dagger}_{21}|1,u_{i},2,u_{j}\rangle=b_{j}|1,u_{i},2,u_{j}\rangle [/itex]
    #[itex]B(2)|1,u_{i},2,u_{j}\rangle=b_{j}|1,u_{i},2,u_{j} \rangle[/itex]

What I understood is: By putting [itex]B(1)[/itex] between the permutation operators I obtain from an arbitrary element of the basis the eigenvalue corresponding to the j-th element of the element of the basis belonging the to index [itex](1)[/itex]. By applying [itex]B(2)[/itex] to the same ket I obtain the eigenvalue corresponding to the j-th element of the element of the basis belonging to the index [itex](2)[/itex], but I don't get the point :uhh:

Im am studying that on Coehn-Tannoudji.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2
    I don't understand your question.
    What does that mean?
    It means what you wrote. the operator on the left is the same as the operator on the right.

exchange and make 1 into 2, and 2 into 1 (the action of the right P*[21])
    act with B(1) according to your 1st premise above according to B(1).
    then re-exchange 2 into 1, and 1 into 2 (the action of the left P[21])
    it will give you the same result as acting immediately with B(2).

I guess that's it, and that's what you wrote.

4. May 26, 2012 #3
    B(1) acts on the vectors of the first space E(1)
    B(2) acts on the vectors of the second space E(2)

[itex]B(1)[|1,u_{i}\rangle \otimes 2,u_{j}\rangle][/itex]
    [itex][B(1)|1,u_{i}\rangle] \otimes 2,u_{j}\rangle[/itex]

[itex]B(2)[|1,u_{i}\rangle \otimes 2,u_{j}\rangle][/itex]
    [itex]|1,u_{i}\rangle] \otimes [B(2) |2,u_{j}\rangle[/itex]

How can they be equal if they are different operators defined on different spaces? The only thing that they return equal is an index. I don't understand why Cohen-Tannoudji calls their eigenvalues using the same letter, b.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  5. May 26, 2012 #4
    It is because the P takes your states from E2 and brings them to E1 and vice versa.
    So in fact B1 acting on E1 sees the elements of E2 instead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook