Transformation of Vectors Confusion

In summary, the conversation discusses a definition of a vector as an object whose components transform in the same way as coordinates under rotation. The examples provided, such as (-y,x) and (x,-y), are referred to as vector fields. The conversation also mentions that this definition can be confusing and that it seems like a selective way to define a vector field. However, the big idea behind it is not fully understood.
Opus_723
I've just started reading Arfken's book on mathematical methods for physics, and one of the very first sections is really confusing me. He is discussing the rotation of coordinates, and defining a vector as an object whose components transform in the same way as the coordinates do under a rotation. All of the "vectors" he talks about are things like (-y,x) which I recognize as vector fields, and he even notes that they are often referred to as vector fields.

This definition sort of makes sense, but the examples just confused me more.

He ends up showing that, under this definition, (-y,x) is a "vector", but (x,-y) is not. I just can't wrap my head around this. Obviously I can draw both of these fields, and rotating the coordinates doesn't seem to have any adverse affects on either one. It seems like he's just defining the former as a vector because it's symmetric. As in, after the rotation, the vectors assigned to each point all satisfy (-y',x'), because it was radially symmetrical to begin with. Whereas the latter field hasn't changed, but the component functions aren't the same in the primed coordinates as in the original coordinates.

At least, that's how I'm following it. Let me know if that's way off. I feel like I'm missing something, because that seems like an awful selective way to define a vector field. Surely there are plenty of interesting fields in physics that aren't don't behave like that? I mean, it's not like the field is changing in either case, it's just that the first happens to be symmetric so that it's indistinguishable under rotations. I always thought a vector was something that maintained it's direction relative to everything else no matter the frame of reference? Both of these fields do that, right? I don't know, I'm just not really sure why this is a useful way to define a vector (field?), or what the big idea is behind it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Opus_723 said:
He ends up showing that, under this definition, (-y,x) is a "vector", but (x,-y) is not..

You should state exactly what he says and shows. That summary of it is too vague to interpret.

1. What is transformation of vectors confusion?

Transformation of vectors confusion refers to the difficulty in understanding and applying the concept of vector transformations in mathematics and science. It involves confusion about how to manipulate and interpret vectors in different coordinate systems and transformations.

2. What are some common types of vector transformations?

Some common types of vector transformations include translation, rotation, reflection, and scaling. Translation involves moving a vector from one point to another. Rotation involves changing the direction of a vector around an axis. Reflection involves flipping a vector across a line of symmetry. Scaling involves changing the size of a vector.

3. Why is understanding vector transformations important?

Understanding vector transformations is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and physics. It is used to describe many real-world phenomena, such as motion, forces, and electromagnetic fields. It also plays a crucial role in computer graphics and engineering applications.

4. What are some common sources of confusion when learning vector transformations?

Some common sources of confusion include understanding the difference between a vector and a point, mixing up the order of operations in transformations, and not understanding the relationship between different coordinate systems. Another source of confusion is not recognizing when to use matrix multiplication and when to use vector addition in transformations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of vector transformations?

To improve your understanding of vector transformations, it is important to practice solving problems and working with different types of transformations. You can also try visualizing vector transformations using diagrams or animations. It may also be helpful to review the basic concepts of vectors and matrices, as they are closely related to transformations. Seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.