Transformer current theory problem

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving a transformer with primary and secondary windings on an iron core. There are three questions regarding the direction of current in the primary and secondary windings. The magnetic flux is shown in a diagram and it is determined that the current in the primary goes from B to A, as indicated by the right-hand rule.
Ange98

Homework Statement

it is a long question so I have attached the question and picture

Homework Equations

I feel it is more theory based, which I explain below.
3. The attempt at a solution
I am unsure- but I would think it is from B to A for part B, as using the RHR, if the coils are wrapped this way and the flow is down through that column. But for part c) I am really unsure and I have tried reading multiple websites about solenoids, transformers and inductance but cannot find a clear answer. If b is B to A, then is the current in C in the opposite direction- opposing what is being produced by the primary, so it would be C to D in the diagram? Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated. It was given as an extra problem though without a solution and it is really bothering me to not understand the concept behind it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not a long question - but the preamble is barely needed ... and AC current is provided to a transformer consisting of primary and secondary windings on an iron core. A diagram is provided showing the windings, and the direction magetic flux through the windings, at a specific instant.
There are three questions, using the diagram
(1) is this a step-up or step-down transformer
(2) what is the direction of current through the primary
(3) what is the direction of current through the secondary

You are asking about (2) and (3).
Sketching the overhead view so the magnetic flux through the primary goes into the page: the coil is wound top-to-bottom anticlockwise with B at the top and A at the bottom.
If the current goes in at B, then it curls anticlockwise in this view ... hold your right hand in front of you and curl your fingers anticockwise: which direction does your thumb point? (Towards you or away from you?)

Toward me? So from B to A?

1. What is the transformer current theory problem?

The transformer current theory problem refers to the difficulties in accurately predicting the current flow in a transformer. This is due to the complex nature of the transformer, which involves both electrical and magnetic properties.

2. What factors contribute to the transformer current theory problem?

Some of the major factors that contribute to the transformer current theory problem include the non-uniform distribution of magnetic flux, eddy currents, hysteresis losses, and leakage inductance.

3. How does the transformer current theory problem affect transformer performance?

The transformer current theory problem can have a significant impact on the performance of a transformer. It can result in inefficient energy transfer, increased losses, and reduced efficiency.

4. What are some solutions to address the transformer current theory problem?

There are several solutions that can help mitigate the transformer current theory problem, such as using high-quality magnetic materials, designing the transformer with uniform magnetic flux, minimizing air gaps, and using advanced modeling techniques.

5. How important is it to address the transformer current theory problem?

It is crucial to address the transformer current theory problem as it directly impacts the performance and efficiency of the transformer. By addressing this problem, we can improve the overall performance and reduce energy losses, leading to cost savings and better utilization of resources.