Transient Impacts, Summation of Forces and Transfer Fuctions

In summary, the conversation is about computing transfer functions for a hammer impact with an accelerometer response on a cylinder. The person is trying to determine if they can sum up two transfer functions from separate hammer impacts to result in the same transfer function as if the hammer was hit once at a different location. However, they are unsure if this holds true for a transient case. They are seeking help and clarification on this matter.
MetalGearSemi
So I have a question I am hoping someone can help me answer. I am trying to compute transfer functions for a hammer impact with an accelerometer response on a cylinder. Please see the attached photo.

http://imgur.com/F8DGwl2For some reason the picture did not attach but I have uploaded to Imgur: http://imgur.com/F8DGwl2
I have a transient impact of a hammer at F1 on a block protruding from the face of the cylinder. Then I can compute a transfer function from the hammer impact to the accelerometer response a1. I do the same then as a separate run for another hammer impact, this time of F2 at a different location. Because I am assuming it is a linear system, F3 can be defined as F1+F2 but I am unsure if this works for a transient case. I understand if both F1 and F2 were hit at the same time that F3=F1+F2 but I don't know if those holds true when they are hit at different times.

Ultimately, I would like to know if there is a way that I can sum up the two transfer functions (f1 to a1 and f2 to a2) and result in the same transfer function as if I were to hit with F3 at a different location to a1.

Engineering news on Phys.org
bump

Anyone?

1. What is a transient impact?

A transient impact is a sudden and temporary change in the motion or behavior of a system caused by an external force. It can also refer to a sudden and temporary disturbance in a signal or data.

2. How do you calculate the summation of forces?

The summation of forces is calculated by adding all the external forces acting on a system and considering their direction and magnitude. This is typically done using vector addition, where the forces are represented as arrows with their length representing their magnitude and their direction representing their direction.

3. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the system responds to different inputs and can be used to predict the behavior of the system. Transfer functions are commonly used in control systems and signal processing.

4. How are transient impacts and transfer functions related?

Transient impacts and transfer functions are related in that the transfer function of a system can be used to analyze the response of the system to a transient impact. The transfer function can help determine how the system will behave after the impact and can be used to design systems to withstand or mitigate the effects of transient impacts.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding transient impacts and transfer functions?

Understanding transient impacts and transfer functions has many practical applications, such as in designing shock absorbers for vehicles, predicting the response of structures to earthquakes or other sudden forces, and designing control systems for machines and devices. It can also be useful in analyzing data from sensors and predicting the behavior of complex systems.