Transition metal organometallics and the 18th rule

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bibinou
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Metal Transition
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Bibinou
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hello everybody,

I have some problems in order to count the electrons in compound using the 18th electrons rule.

In the compound [(BuO)3 Mo Mo (OBu)3] I count 12 electrons (6 e- for Mo, 3 * 1e- for Metal-Metal bound, and 3 * 1e- for OBu). Is it correct?

In the compound W(CO)3(P Pr3)2(H2) I count 16 electrons (6 e- for W, 3 * 2e- for CO and 2*2e- for P Pr3). Is it correct?

Moreover, it exist exceptions to the 18-electron rule.
Why cannot V(CO)6 dimerize?
What about the compound Mo2(OSiMe3)6 and W(Me6)?

Why are Metallocenes [M (C5H5)2] are only known for M = V to Ni ?

I thank you very much for your help
 
Physics news on Phys.org