Transparent Display glasses (Augmented Reality)

In summary, this person has been working on a new type of transparent display glasses for a few years, and has borrowed ideas from nature to help overcome some of the challenges. There are some challenges with using this type of glasses, but the potential is there for them to be used in practical ways.
ATdisplays
Hello All,

I'm not really sure if this is the spot where I should post this, but I'll give it a shot. For the last 2 yrs. I've been working on improving the current generation of Augmented Reality glasses (transparent display or "see-through" display glasses). The main reason you only see transparent display glasses in science fiction and not in real life is because there are challenges that you have to overcome when dealing with Augmented Reality. This is the case despite the breath taking progress seen in display technologies in recent years.

To counteract these problems, I borrowed man-made designs as well from nature. Man-made designs are easy to copy (like light sensitive CMOS chips), but adopting how nature solves the problem of vision was the real challenge. I adopted the design of Compound Eyes used in insects (see Wikipedia "Eye" under Compound Eyes) and also the function of how Muller cells in the retina act like fiber optic cables or wave guides (the rod and cone cells in our eyes are facing the opposite direction of the light coming in, but Muller cells redirect light to them - http://www.vision-research.eu/index.php?id=160 ).

I haven't had much luck in finding others who would be interested in this kind of stuff, so instead of fruitlessly working on this, I'll give it out to the public and hopefully someone can adopt it and put it to good, practical use. To do that I made a series of videos explaining the issues with Transparent Display glasses and what the possible solutions to them might be. If you have questions on this, then I'll try to the best of my abilities to answer them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwiwqiLgwi4&feature=channel_video_title

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Interesting project. I worked on something similar a number of years ago, basically a HUD version of a computer display.

ATdisplays said:
Hello All,

I'm not really sure if this is the spot where I should post this, but I'll give it a shot. For the last 2 yrs. I've been working on improving the current generation of Augmented Reality glasses (transparent display or "see-through" display glasses). The main reason you only see transparent display glasses in science fiction and not in real life is because there are challenges that you have to overcome when dealing with Augmented Reality. This is the case despite the breath taking progress seen in display technologies in recent years.

To counteract these problems, I borrowed man-made designs as well from nature. Man-made designs are easy to copy (like light sensitive CMOS chips), but adopting how nature solves the problem of vision was the real challenge. I adopted the design of Compound Eyes used in insects (see Wikipedia "Eye" under Compound Eyes) and also the function of how Muller cells in the retina act like fiber optic cables or wave guides (the rod and cone cells in our eyes are facing the opposite direction of the light coming in, but Muller cells redirect light to them - http://www.vision-research.eu/index.php?id=160 ).

I haven't had much luck in finding others who would be interested in this kind of stuff, so instead of fruitlessly working on this, I'll give it out to the public and hopefully someone can adopt it and put it to good, practical use. To do that I made a series of videos explaining the issues with Transparent Display glasses and what the possible solutions to them might be. If you have questions on this, then I'll try to the best of my abilities to answer them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwiwqiLgwi4&feature=channel_video_title

This is an interesting new display development -- maybe you can use it in your work:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/drive_to_discover&id=8229532

Thanks for the link Berkeman. That was actually an interesting video and I don't think I've seen another technology quite like it. I can see some real potential for that and GM seems to be putting it to some practical use ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR5EAEGM4-U&feature=player_embedded&hd=1 ).

The downside to it is that regardless of which display technology you use (LCD, OLED/AMOLED, DLP, etc...) you will still have to deal with light rays coming in at angles that are too wide for your eyes to refocus if the display screen is close to the eyes. Nonetheless I'll keep my eyes open and see how else this technology could be used/adopted.

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing your work on improving transparent display glasses. Augmented reality has been a hot topic in recent years and it is exciting to see scientists like yourself working towards making this technology a reality. I am particularly interested in your approach of using man-made designs as well as borrowing from nature's solutions to overcome the challenges in this field.

Your adoption of the design of Compound Eyes used in insects and the function of Muller cells in the retina is fascinating. Nature has evolved over millions of years to find efficient and effective solutions, and it is wise to look to it for inspiration in our own technological advancements.

I appreciate your efforts in making your work accessible to the public through your videos. It is important for scientists to share their findings and ideas with the wider community, as this can lead to collaboration and further advancements in the field. I will definitely be watching your videos and if I have any questions, I will reach out to you.

I wish you all the best in your continued research and hope that your work will be put to practical use in the near future.

Sincerely,

1. What is a transparent display glass?

A transparent display glass is a type of augmented reality technology that allows digital information to be displayed on a see-through surface, such as glasses or lenses. This technology combines the real world with virtual images, creating an immersive and interactive experience.

2. How does a transparent display glass work?

A transparent display glass uses a combination of sensors, processors, and projectors to create a virtual display on a transparent surface. The sensors track the user's head and eye movements, while the processors interpret the data and project the virtual images onto the glass.

3. What are the applications of transparent display glasses?

Transparent display glasses have a wide range of applications, including gaming, education, healthcare, and military training. They can also be used in industrial settings for hands-free access to information and instructions.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using transparent display glasses?

One potential drawback of transparent display glasses is the potential for eye strain or fatigue due to prolonged use. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages, so there may be limitations in terms of resolution and battery life.

5. How does transparent display glasses differ from virtual reality (VR) and mixed reality (MR)?

Transparent display glasses differ from VR and MR in that they do not fully immerse the user in a virtual environment. Instead, they overlay digital information onto the real world, allowing the user to still see and interact with their surroundings. VR fully immerses the user in a virtual environment, while MR combines virtual and real-world elements.