Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transpose of the product of matrices problem

1. Aug 30, 2013 #1
    Hi,

The following equations are from linear regression model notes but there is an aspect of the matrix algebra I do not get.

I have, [itex]\mathbf{y}[/itex] and [itex]\tilde{\beta}[/itex] are a mx1 vectors, and [itex] \mathbf{X}[/itex] is a mxn matrix.

I understand the equation
    [tex](\mathbf{y}-\mathbf{X}\tilde{\beta})^{\text{T}}(\mathbf{y}-\mathbf{X}\tilde{\beta})= \mathbf{y}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}-\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}-\mathbf{y}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}\tilde{\beta}+ \tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}\tilde{\beta}
    [/tex]
    , but then it is stated
    [tex]\mathbf{y}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}-\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}-\mathbf{y}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}\tilde{\beta}-\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}\tilde{\beta}= \mathbf{y}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}-2\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}+\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}\tilde{\beta}\qquad\text{(1)}[/tex]
    , and I do not understand why [itex]-\mathbf{y}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}\tilde{\beta}=-\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}[/itex] in equation (1).

I understand the transpose identity [itex](\mathbf{y}^{\text{T}}\tilde{\beta}\mathbf{X})^{\text{T}}= \mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}[/itex],
    but then (1) would be
    [tex]\mathbf{y}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}-\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}-\mathbf{y}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}\tilde{\beta}-\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}\tilde{\beta}= \mathbf{y}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}-\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}-(\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y})^{\text{T}}+ \tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}\tilde{\beta}[/tex],
    and (1) would only be true if [itex]\tilde{\beta}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{X}^{\text{T}}\mathbf{y}[/itex] is s symmetric matrix, which I think it need not be.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2013 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey EdMel.

Hint: Is the quantity a scalar? (If it is then what does this imply about the appropriate transpose?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook