Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Traveling at c, how long to the edge of the solar system from earth?

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1
    I was just wondering, how long would it take to travel from earth to the edge of our solor system if we were traveling at the speed of light? and how long would it take to get from earth to the furthest we can see into space at the moment?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2
    well for the answers to that, you got to know how long or far the solar sstem is first. i not very sure if any noe knows though...
    but with the speed of light... it should not take that long.
    visit my blog!
  4. Sep 29, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends on what definition you have on "edge of solar system", you can google a bit about distance to pluto etc. But the solar system does not end with pluto, there are more bodies outside.

The most furthest object that we can see with a naked eye from earth is the andromeda galaxy, approx 2 500 000 Ly away.
  5. Sep 29, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like others have mentioned it depends on how one defines the edge of the solar system. i'd be tempted to say the edge of the Kuiper belt is the edge of the solar system, which is (arguably) 55-80 AU from the sun. 55 AU is the edge of the main body of the belt but there are other objects orbiting up to 80 AU away but they are fewer and further between. Using those distances it takes light about 7 - 12 hours to get from Earth to 'the edge'.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?