Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangular numbers, proving numbers are tringular

1. May 13, 2014 #1
    I've been learning about polygonal numbers, and one of the exercises in this book ask me to show that 9t[itex]_{n}[/itex]+1 [Fermat], 25t[itex]_{n}[/itex]+3, and 49t[itex]_{n}[/itex]+6 [both from Euler] are triangular numbers. I don't know how to approach these proofs, I've tried to show that they have some form similar to [itex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/itex], but with no avail. But it looks like there is a pattern, that would be
    (2n+1)[itex]^{2}[/itex]t[itex]_{\alpha}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/itex], but I have no way of proving this. Could someone point me in the correct direction?

t[itex]_{n}[/itex] and t[itex]_{\alpha}[/itex] are both triangular numbers.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2014 #2
    ##9\cdot\frac{n(n+1)}{2}+1=\frac{(3n+1)(3n+2)}{2}=\frac{(3n+1)\big((3n+1)+1 \big)}{2}##, yes?

4. May 13, 2014 #3
    Wow, I was over thinking this a lot. Thank you, I can check my pattern with this too.

5. May 13, 2014 #4
    Another one is ##5929t_n+741## is triangular whenever ##t_n## is triangular [gopher_p].

But it looks like you've already figured out that pattern.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook