Tricky Dynamics Kinematics Trajectory Problem

Homework Statement

A football player attempts a 29-yd field goal. If he is able to impart a velocity u of 95 ft/sec to the ball, compute the minimum angle θ for which the ball will clear the crossbar of the goal. The crossbar is 10 ft above the ground. (Hint: Let m = tan θ.)

Homework Equations

I can't find and equation for minimum angle anywhere, which makes me think I have to combine two equations to be able to solve this. I've messed with equations on here, http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html#tracon for hours and I can't figure out what equations I need to combine to get a minimum angle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know my range is 87 feet, and the height that i want to clear is 10 feet at the end of my range, kicking the field goal at the smallest initial angle possible. Velocity is 95 ft/s

Any help on this is appreciated, it may simply be one of those problems where the solution seems too easy so it is overlooked?

Answers and Replies

well draw figure and you'll understand that range is not 29 yd
question says that when x= 29 yd ... y should be 10 ft

verty
Homework Helper
I've had a look at this question, it was by no means easy. Here's a hint: the formula for the height of the ball versus time must have real roots.