Trig Question 8(c) Solution Discussion - Edexcel 6665-01 January 2011 Exam

• Thread starter jsmith613
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the mark scheme for question 8(c) in the January 2011 exam for the Edexcel GCE Curriculum 2000. The question asks whether the mark scheme should include the use of a ##\pm## sign in the solution, and the response suggests that it is typically understood to use the principal value branch with a positive slope.
Physics news on Phys.org
I would have put a ##\pm## sign on it. But one might also make the argument that the inverse function is understood to mean the principal value branch. In that case the principal value branch is usually chosen to have positive slope. Your mileage may vary.

1. What is the best approach to solving Trig Question 8(c) in the Edexcel 6665-01 January 2011 Exam?

The best approach to solving Trig Question 8(c) is to first carefully read and understand the question. Then, use the given information to set up the appropriate trigonometric equation. You can then use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variable.

2. How do I know if I have the correct solution for Trig Question 8(c)?

You can check if you have the correct solution for Trig Question 8(c) by plugging your answer back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also check your solution using a graphing calculator or by comparing it to a known solution.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Trig Question 8(c)?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Trig Question 8(c) include mixing up degrees and radians, using the wrong trigonometric identities, and making errors in algebraic manipulation. It is important to double check your work and be mindful of units and notation.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve Trig Question 8(c)?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve Trig Question 8(c). However, be sure to check the exam guidelines to see if a calculator is allowed and if there are any restrictions on its use. It is also important to know how to solve the question without a calculator, as it may not always be available.

5. How can I improve my performance on Trig Question 8(c) in the Edexcel 6665-01 January 2011 Exam?

To improve your performance on Trig Question 8(c), it is important to have a strong understanding of trigonometric concepts and identities. Practice solving similar problems and review any mistakes you make. Also, make sure to carefully read and understand the question before attempting to solve it.