Understanding Edexcel GCE January 2010 Mechanics M2 QP: Question 8C Explanation

• Thread starter phospho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projections
In summary, the solution for question 8C is explaining that the x-value being set to 0 represents the initial time when the particle was launched, and the velocity slope at that time is equal to c, as given in the problem statement. This is why x = 0 is used when differentiating to find the velocity components.
Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, the derivative of a function is zero at a point where the function has a minimum.
[Edit:Sorry, please ignore my comment. I was looking at the first problem.]

Last edited:
phospho said:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/26846418/Edexcel-GCE-January-2010-Mechanics-M2-QP

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdoc...CE January 2010 - MS/6678_01_msc_20100219.pdf

Question 8C:

The second link is the answers - I don't understand why they set x = 0 when they differentiated, could anyone explain please?
The solution is not differentiating nor "sets" x = 0 at that part of the solution.

What the solution is trying to say is:

"At whatever time it is when x happens to be zero, the y-component of velocity is c times greater than the x-component of velocity."

Recall that in the original problem statement, the initial velocity was given to you as u(i + cj). So the slope ("rise over run", also called dy/dx) is c/1 = c.

So at the very beginning, when the particle is launched, x = 0. (This is implied by the problem statement saying, "Relative to O, the position vector of a point on the path of P is (xi + yj) m.)

So still in other words, the statement is saying, "At the time the particle was launched (i.e. x = 0), the velocity slope (dy/dt over dx/dt) is c."

Last edited:

1. What is Edexcel GCE January 2010 Mechanics M2 QP?

Edexcel GCE January 2010 Mechanics M2 QP refers to the question paper for the Mechanics M2 exam, which was administered by the Edexcel examination board in January 2010. This exam is part of the General Certificate of Education (GCE) qualifications offered by Edexcel.

2. What is Question 8C in the Mechanics M2 QP?

Question 8C is a specific question in the Mechanics M2 exam, which was included in the January 2010 question paper. This question may involve a variety of topics related to mechanics, such as forces, motion, and energy.

3. Why is understanding Edexcel GCE January 2010 Mechanics M2 QP important?

Understanding the Mechanics M2 QP is important because it provides insight into the types of questions and topics that may be covered in the exam. By familiarizing yourself with the question paper, you can better prepare for the exam and improve your chances of success.

4. What is the purpose of Question 8C in the Mechanics M2 QP?

The purpose of Question 8C is to assess your understanding and application of mechanics concepts and principles. This question may require you to use mathematical calculations and critical thinking skills to solve a problem related to mechanics.

5. Are there resources available to help understand Edexcel GCE January 2010 Mechanics M2 QP?

Yes, there are various resources available to help understand the Mechanics M2 QP, such as study guides, practice exams, and online tutorials. You can also consult with your teachers or peers for additional support and clarification on any questions you may have.