Trigonometric Equation: 2sin(2x) = 2cos(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solutions for 2 sin(2x) = 2 cos(x), which simplifies to 2 cos(x) (sinx - 1) = 0. After further calculations, the values for x are pi/6, 5pi/6, pi/2, and 3pi/2, for the domain of [0, 2pi].
GuN

Homework Statement

2 sin(2x) = 2 cos(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

4sinxcosx-2cosx=0

2(2sinxcosx-cosx)=0

2cosx(sinx-1)=0

2cosx=0 sinx=1

And then I did the math and got pi/2 and 3pi/2 , but that's apparently wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get cosx * (2*sinx - 1) = 0 for your second to last step. Does that help?

I still get pi/2 and 3 pi/2.

>_<

I'll try consulting my notes on how to properly calculate cosx=0 and sinx=1/2.

GuN said:
I still get pi/2 and 3 pi/2.
How? You know that ##\sin (\pi/2) = 1## and ##\sin (3\pi/2) = -1##. So obviously neither of those satisfy ##\sin x = 1/2##.

arcsin (1/2) = x1
arccos (0) = x2

You have done everything correctly, now you need to figure out what the values for x are. This is not a linear equation, there are 2 series of solutions.

The system I showed you will not be your final answer.

Right, I double checked the notes and found I used the wrong radians.

I redid it and got (for the domain of [0, 2pi] ) pi/6, 5pi/6, pi/2 and 3pi/2.

Related to Trigonometric Equation: 2sin(2x) = 2cos(x)

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle, and are commonly used in geometry and physics.

What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identity (sin^2x + cos^2x = 1), the reciprocal identities (cscx = 1/sinx, secx = 1/cosx, cotx = 1/tanx), the quotient identities (tanx = sinx/cosx, cotx = cosx/sinx), and the even/odd identities (sin(-x) = -sinx, cos(-x) = cosx).

How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must first isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation. Then, you can use inverse trigonometric functions (such as arcsin, arccos, arctan) to solve for the unknown angle or side. It is important to check your answers by substituting them back into the original equation.

What are the solutions to a trigonometric equation?

The solutions to a trigonometric equation can either be exact values or approximations, depending on the given problem. In some cases, there may be multiple solutions, while in others there may be no solutions.

How are trigonometric equations used in real life?

Trigonometric equations are used in various fields such as engineering, navigation, and astronomy. They can be used to calculate distances, angles, and heights, as well as to solve real-life problems involving triangles and circular motion.