Trigonometry: At which quadrant should the angle lie?

In summary, the textbook gives only one answer for sin(-A) when angle A is negative. However, if the question didn't specify on how angle A is like, the student should be free to use the principle values for tan.
LiHJ

Homework Statement

Dear Mentors,

I have some doubts on this question that I was doing from my textbook.
Question:
Given that tan A =(-2), find the exact value of sin(-A)

My doubts are:
For angle A to be negative, angle A should be on the 2nd or 4th quadrant. But than I will have 2 possible answers. However the textbook only give 1 answer.

So I further analyze again. If the question didn't specify on how angle A is like should we stick to the principle value. Since principle value of tan is from -90 degree to 90 degree. Than angle A should be at the 4th quadrant only. So sin(-A)= - sin(A), sin A = -(-2/√5)= 2/(√5) which is the answer as given.

Can any Mentors please advise me on this. Whether I'm thinking correctly.

Thank you so much.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
LiHJ said:

Homework Statement

Dear Mentors,

I have some doubts on this question that I was doing from my textbook.
Question:
Given that tan A =(-2), find the exact value of sin(-A)

My doubts are:
For angle A to be negative, angle A should be on the 2nd or 4th quadrant. But than I will have 2 possible answers. However the textbook only give 1 answer.

Some math books will indicate a restricted domain by capitalizing the trig functions, ie. Tan x (which would have a domain of -π/2 < x < π/2). (So, in your book, was the "T" capitalized?) I wasn't familiar with this notation, but regardless, when I see a (regular) trig function I do not assume that one should stick with the principal values. So if I were to do this problem I would have two answers. Maybe it's a typo in the answer section, or maybe there's more to the problem than what's given here.

Thanks for the reply:smile:
But in this book they do not use such notation such as Tan or tan to distinguish between the two. They only use tan.

I actually written to the publisher about this question. But I didn't have any reply.

1. What is the purpose of identifying the quadrant for a trigonometric angle?

Identifying the quadrant for a trigonometric angle is important because it determines the sign of the trigonometric ratios (sine, cosine, tangent). This can help us determine the positive and negative values of the ratios, which is essential in solving trigonometric equations and problems.

2. How do you determine the quadrant for a given angle?

To determine the quadrant for a given angle, we look at the coordinates of the point where the angle intersects the unit circle. If the coordinates are (x,y), we can determine the quadrant based on the signs of x and y. For example, if x is positive and y is negative, the angle lies in the fourth quadrant.

3. Can an angle lie in more than one quadrant?

No, an angle can only lie in one quadrant at a time. The quadrant is determined by the initial side of the angle, which is always the positive x-axis. Therefore, the angle can only intersect one quadrant at a time.

4. How does the quadrant affect the values of the trigonometric ratios?

The quadrant affects the values of the trigonometric ratios by determining their signs. For example, in the first quadrant, all trigonometric ratios are positive, while in the second quadrant, only sine and cosecant are positive. In the third quadrant, only tangent and cotangent are positive, and in the fourth quadrant, only cosine and secant are positive.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rules of determining the quadrant for angles?

Yes, there are exceptions when the angle lies on one of the axes (x or y). In these cases, the angle does not intersect any quadrant, and therefore we cannot determine its quadrant. We must use other methods, such as reference angles, to determine the signs of the trigonometric ratios in these cases.