Find sin, cos, and tan for a given quadrant angle

In summary: I drew a graph and put the angle -450° in the 3rd quadrant because both x and y are negative Here is your first error. How do you know "both x and y are negative"? You are not told what x and y are! Now you are contradicting yourself. Before you said the angle is in the third quadrant because x and y are negative, now you are saying the angle is in the third quadrant ("x and y are negative") because the angle is negative.Surely you know better than that!A "positive" angle is measured counter clockwise and sweep all the way around the circle, through all quadrants- possibly many
wittlebittle
Find (a) sin ∅, (b) cos ∅, and (c) tan ∅ for the given quadrantal angle. If the value is undefined, write “undefined.” My quadrantal angle is -450°

Sin = opp/hyp
Cos= adj/hyp
Tan= opp/adj

I drew a graph and put the angle -450° in the 3rd quadrant because both x and y are negative and I assumed since my degree is in negative it would have to be in there. I am stuck on how to actually solve the problem. My teacher gave us the answers but we have to show our work, it is just very confusing because he isn't good at explaining at all so I am lost.

Please help me figure out how to solve this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
wittlebittle said:
I drew a graph and put the angle -450° in the 3rd quadrant
Where exactly is the angle? What angle below the x-axis, for instance?

Doc Al said:
Where exactly is the angle? What angle below the x-axis, for instance?
it does not say. that is what confuses me. i just took a random guess that it was in the 3rd quadrant

wittlebittle said:
it does not say. that is what confuses me. i just took a random guess that it was in the 3rd quadrant
Why guess? You have the angle, so mark exactly where it must appear. What if the angle were -30°? -90°?

wittlebittle said:
Find (a) sin ∅, (b) cos ∅, and (c) tan ∅ for the given quadrantal angle. If the value is undefined, write “undefined.” My quadrantal angle is -450°

Sin = opp/hyp
Cos= adj/hyp
Tan= opp/adj

I drew a graph and put the angle -450° in the 3rd quadrant because both x and y are negative
Here is your first error. How do you know "both x and y are negative"? You are not told what x and y are!

and I assumed since my degree is in negative it would have to be in there.
Now you are contradicting yourself. Before you said the angle is in the third quadrant because x and y are negative, now you are saying the angle is in the third quadrant ("x and y are negative") because the angle is negative.

Surely you know better than that! A "positive" angle is measured counter clockwise and sweep all the way around the circle, through all quadrants- possibly many times. A "negative" is measured clockwise but still sweeps through all quadrants.

The crucial point here is that a full circle is 360 degrees- and then we start the circle anew (the trig functions have period 360 degrees). -450 is less than -360 degrees. That's why jayanthd added 360 degrees: "backing up" a full circle leaves us at the same point on the circle as -450+ 360= -90 degrees. Where is that on the unit circle?

I am stuck on how to actually solve the problem. My teacher gave us the answers but we have to show our work, it is just very confusing because he isn't good at explaining at all so I am lost.
Your teacher isn't very good at explaining or you aren't very good at understanding? If it is the latter then you are capable of improving. Which would you rather think?

Please help me figure out how to solve this problem!

1. What is the difference between sin, cos, and tan?

Sin, cos, and tan are three basic trigonometric functions used to calculate the relationships between the sides and angles of a right triangle. Sin (sine) is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cos (cosine) is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tan (tangent) is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

2. How do you find the sin, cos, and tan of a given angle in a specific quadrant?

To find the sin, cos, and tan of a given angle in a specific quadrant, you first need to determine the reference angle by subtracting the given angle from 90 degrees (if the angle is in the first or second quadrant) or 270 degrees (if the angle is in the third or fourth quadrant). Then, use the trigonometric ratios to find the corresponding values for sin, cos, and tan of the reference angle. Finally, adjust the signs based on the quadrant of the given angle.

3. Can you provide an example of finding sin, cos, and tan of a given quadrant angle?

For example, let's say we need to find the sin, cos, and tan of 60 degrees in the second quadrant. The reference angle would be 90 - 60 = 30 degrees. Using the trigonometric ratios, we get sin 30° = 0.5, cos 30° = √3/2, and tan 30° = 1/√3. Since the angle is in the second quadrant, the values for sin and tan will be positive and the value for cos will be negative. Therefore, sin 60° = 0.5, cos 60° = -√3/2, and tan 60° = 1/√3.

4. Why is it important to know the quadrant when finding sin, cos, and tan of a given angle?

Knowing the quadrant is important because it helps us determine the signs of the trigonometric values. Since the trigonometric functions are positive in the first and fourth quadrants, and negative in the second and third quadrants, the signs need to be adjusted accordingly to get the correct values for the given angle.

5. Is there a shortcut for finding sin, cos, and tan of a given angle in a specific quadrant?

Yes, there is a shortcut called the CAST rule. This rule helps us remember the signs of the trigonometric values in each quadrant. In the first quadrant, all values are positive (cosine is All, sine is positive, tangent is positive). In the second quadrant, only sine is positive (cosine is All, sine is positive, tangent is negative). In the third quadrant, only tangent is positive (cosine is All, sine is negative, tangent is positive). And in the fourth quadrant, only cosine is positive (cosine is positive, sine is All, tangent is positive).