1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble understanding range values

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1
    For example: f(x) = 2 - √(x+9), x ≥ -9

I'm asked to find the inverse and the domain of the inverse which is the range of f(x). I've found the inverse but for the domain, I put x ε ℝ however the answer is x≥2

I can see how they got the answer but why is my answer incorrect. This is how I'm seeing it:

for example: x = - 8 => f(x) = 2 - ±√(-8+9) leading to f(x) = 1, 3: but they seem to be taking the positive root only. Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By definition, the "square-root" function is always ≥ 0. That is, the two roots of an equation of the form ##u = v^2## are ##v = \pm \sqrt{u}##; ##\sqrt{u}## itself is never < 0 (for non-negative real values of u).

In your example, the values of ##y = 2 - \sqrt{x+9}## are always ≤ 2, and for any such y the corresponding x is obtained from
    [tex]\sqrt{x+9} = 2-y \: \Longrightarrow x+9 = (2-y)^2,[/tex]
    hence
    [tex] f^{-1}(y) = (2-y)^2 - 9, \: y \leq 2.[/tex]

Of course, you can re-write this by using the symbol x instead of the symbol y; the domain would then be x ≤ 2 (NOT x ≥ 2).

4. Jan 5, 2013 #3
    I see, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook