Troubleshooting Internet Problems: Can't Find Server

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: Connections wizardIn summary, The speaker is experiencing a problem with their LAN in Windows. When attempting to open a webpage in Internet Explorer or Firefox, they receive an error message stating "can't find server". However, the internet works fine in Linux. They suspect it may be a problem with Windows or a firewall setting. They have also tried pinging their IP address but it timed out. They mention that they usually have the opposite problem (no internet in Linux but it works in Windows) and ask for help. Another person shares a similar problem with different applications and suggests trying to reset the router.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I'm having a problem with my LAN. For some reason whenever I try to open a webpage (in IE or firefox) I get the error "can't find server". But when I try in Linux (fedora) it works fine. So it must be some problem with windows. What problem would give me that error? Was a setting in the firewall changed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Oh, and i tried pinging my ip address and it timed out.

Computer science news on Phys.org
We usually get problems the other way round (no internet in linux, but works in windows).
Has the internet worked before in windows?
Can you ping your router?
Post the output of ipconfig /all

I am having a similar problem, but instead of different OSs, there is in different applications: p2p, torrents vs firefox (Windows XP). While allready working in Firefox and downloading at the same time, the same message popups when I hit a webpage - just out of nowhere! I am still working on that. Usually when I plug-out and plug-in the router the problem the problem's solved. However it can't be a router problem, because the p2p and torrent apps are working just fine when the Can't find server message appears into Firefox. Same on IE7.

router gave out IP#s to the PC internet before it can work on windows. you made need to set up the Network Connections in windows by Create a new connection in the Network

1. Why can't I connect to the internet?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to connect to the internet. It could be an issue with your internet service provider, a problem with your modem or router, or a software issue on your device. It's best to troubleshoot each possible cause to determine the exact reason for the connection problem.

2. How do I know if the problem is with my internet connection or a specific website?

To determine if the problem is with your internet connection or a specific website, try opening multiple websites. If you are unable to access any website, then the issue is likely with your internet connection. However, if you can access some websites but not others, then the problem may be with the specific website or its server.

3. What should I do if I am getting a "server not found" error?

If you are getting a "server not found" error, it could mean that the website you are trying to access is down or experiencing technical difficulties. You can try accessing the website at a later time or contact the website's administrator for further assistance.

4. How do I troubleshoot a DNS server issue?

If you suspect that the issue is with your DNS server, you can try resetting your DNS settings or switching to a public DNS server such as Google's 8.8.8.8 or Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1. You can also try flushing your DNS cache or resetting your router to see if that resolves the issue.

5. What should I do if I am able to connect to the internet but websites are loading slowly?

If you are able to connect to the internet but websites are loading slowly, it could be due to a slow internet connection, a problem with your device, or a high traffic volume on the website's server. You can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, restarting your device, or contacting your internet service provider for further assistance.