Troubleshooting MCNP6.2 Error: l_list Too Small

In summary, the conversation discusses an error encountered while using MCNP6.2 for ray tracing charged particles through a magnetic field. The error, "l_list too small," is typically caused by having too many isotopes in the input deck. One possible solution is to increase the size of the l_list parameter or reduce the number of isotopes in the input deck.
angweieng
TL;DR Summary
MCNP error code: bad trouble in subroutine mars_xs_init of imcn
Hi everyone,

I have used MCNP6.2 for few years. This is the first time that I encountered the error such as below:

bad trouble in subroutine mars_xs_init of imcn
l_list too small.

I tried to run an input deck and track a bunch of decay isotopes. Is anyone has similar error before? If you do, do you know what's the problem of this error? Thank you so much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am out of my depth and posting only because no-one better has replied yet.

'mars' is a method used for ray tracing charged particles through a magnetic field. Do you have bfld and bflcl input cards?

If that doesn't help I can only suggest you post a minimal input file that produces the error and maybe someone will see the problem.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're encountering this error in MCNP6.2. I haven't personally encountered this error before, but I did some research and found that this error usually occurs when there are too many isotopes in your input deck. One solution that I found is to increase the size of the l_list parameter in the input deck. You can also try reducing the number of isotopes in your input deck to see if that helps.

I hope this helps and that you're able to resolve the issue. Let me know if you have any other questions or if this solution works for you. Good luck!

1. What is the meaning of the MCNP6.2 error "l_list Too Small"?

The "l_list Too Small" error in MCNP6.2 indicates that the number of energy bins in the neutron or photon energy list is not large enough to accommodate the specified energy range. This can occur when the energy range is too wide or when the energy bins are set too small.

2. How can I fix the "l_list Too Small" error in MCNP6.2?

To fix this error, you can try increasing the number of energy bins in the input file. You can also try narrowing the energy range to be more specific, or increasing the energy bin size to cover a wider range of energies.

3. Can the "l_list Too Small" error be caused by other factors?

Yes, this error can also occur if the energy bins are not specified in ascending order, or if there are duplicate energy values in the list. It can also be caused by using non-physical energy values, such as negative energies.

4. Is there a limit to the number of energy bins that can be used in MCNP6.2?

Yes, there is a limit of 10,000 energy bins in MCNP6.2. If you require more energy bins, you may need to split your input file into multiple runs or use a different version of MCNP.

5. Can I prevent the "l_list Too Small" error from occurring in the future?

To prevent this error, it is important to carefully select the appropriate energy range and bin size for your simulation. It may also be helpful to check for any duplicate or non-physical energy values in the energy list before running the simulation.