1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trucks travels beneath an airplane .

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    trucks travels beneath an airplane.....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A truck travels beneath an airplane that is
    moving 180 km/h at an angle of 39 to the
    ground. How fast must the truck travel to stay be-
    neath the airplane? What is the magnitude of the vertical component of the velocity of the plane? Answer in units of km/h

2. Relevant equations

My physics teacher said the question is identifying the horizontal and vertical components. So I had to do Vcostheta and Vsintheta.

3. The attempt at a solution

Vcostheta=180cos39=139.8863 km/h
    vsintheta=180sin39=113.2777 km/h

my problem is, I don't understand which direciton the vectors are. Is it going north of east or south of east, or what? I can't identify them in the problem and I can't tell if the answers need a negative sign or positive sign.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: trucks travels beneath an airplane.....

The problem is only asking you questions like "How fast" and "magnitude of". Those are questions where the answer is always positive. You can pick a direction for things to be travelling in if it helps you picture things but it shouldn't affect your answer.

4. Oct 15, 2012 #3

ohh ok. i see. thanks :)....i have another question from my hw......is it ok to ask it on this same thread?

5. Oct 15, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Its ok. But it will probably get more attention if you post it in a new thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook