True mass of aluminum in vacuum given apparent mass in air

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trizz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Principle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
Trizz
Messages
41
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the true mass (in vacuum) of a piece of aluminum whose apparent mass is 4.2000 kg when weighed in air. (Express your answer as 4.2000 kg plus a positive or negative number.)
(4.2000 + ________ ) kg



Homework Equations



Buoyant force = density x gravity x volume
d=m/v



The Attempt at a Solution



I'm guessing I have to find the amount of air displaced but I'm really not too sure on how to go about doing this
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mass of the aluminum is given. Find the density of aluminum and air from Wikipedia. Using the relevant formula find the volume.