True Stories, written in 2nd century

• Thread starter meBigGuy
  • Start date
In summary, Lucian of Samosata's "True History" from the 2nd century contains typical science fiction themes and topoi such as travel to outer space, encounters with alien life-forms, interplanetary warfare and imperialism, colonization of planets, and the motif of giganticism. It also features creatures as products of human technology and worlds with alternate physical laws. However, these ideas are presented without much explanation or scientific reasoning. While Arthur C. Clarke is often credited with inventing the concept of geostationary satellites, he actually did the math to demonstrate how and why it would work. Nonetheless, it is impressive to see such imaginative science fiction ideas dating back so far.
meBigGuy
Gold Member
Since Clarke "invented" the geostationary satellite (I know, he didn't, really, I'm just being snide), I guess Lucian of Samosata invented all this in the 2nd century:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_History
In sum, typical science fiction themes and topoi appearing in True Stories are:[3]

• travel to outer space
  • encounter with alien life-forms, including the experience of a first encounter event
  • interplanetary warfare and imperialism
  • colonization of planets
  • artificial atmosphere
  • liquid air
  • reflecting telescope
  • motif of giganticism
  • creatures as products of human technology (robot theme)
  • worlds working by a set of alternate 'physical' laws
  • explicit desire of the protagonist for exploration and adventure
Pretty impressive list for 2nd century fiction.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a difference between fantasizing a circumstance and demonstrating that it works and how it works.

I'm not going to tick off each of the items you mention, but many of them (for example space travel) are proposed simply by fiat - i.e. do not ask how it is so, just that it is so.

Clarke did not merely decide that geostationary satlelites would be cool. He did the math to show how and why it would work.Still, your point is well-taken. Sometimes it's easy to forget just how long our star-gazing dreams have been around.

I probably shouldn't have brought Clarke into it. I'd take it back if I could.

I was just impressed with seeing science fiction so far back.

Smilies are great for conveying an intended tone of light-heartedness. :wink:

1. What is the significance of "True Stories" written in the 2nd century?

"True Stories" written in the 2nd century is significant because it is one of the earliest known works of fiction in the Western world. It provides insight into the storytelling traditions and literary techniques of the time period.

2. Who is the author of "True Stories" and what is known about them?

The author of "True Stories" is Lucian of Samosata, a Greek writer and satirist who lived during the 2nd century AD. He is known for his witty and humorous writing style, as well as his skepticism towards religion and mythology.

3. What genre does "True Stories" fall under?

"True Stories" is considered a work of ancient fiction, specifically a form of satire known as "Menippean satire." It combines elements of fantasy, adventure, and satire to poke fun at the societal and cultural norms of the time.

4. How does "True Stories" differ from other works of fiction from the 2nd century?

"True Stories" stands out from other works of fiction from the 2nd century because of its unique blend of fantasy and satire. While many other works from this time period focused on historical events or religious themes, "True Stories" is a work of pure imagination.

5. What impact did "True Stories" have on future literature?

"True Stories" had a significant influence on later works of fiction, particularly in the genre of science fiction. Its use of fantastical elements and satirical commentary laid the foundation for future writers to explore similar themes and techniques in their own works.