Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Truth table and proving a tautology

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm supposed to prove that this statement is a tautology (with truth table):

(p -> ((p OR q) AND ~q)) = (~p OR ~q) AND p

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Code (Text):

p | q | ~p | ~q | p OR q | (p OR q) AND ~q | p -> ((p OR q) AND ~q) | (~p OR ~q) | (~p OR ~q) AND p
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1   1    0    0      1            0                      0                 0               0
    1   0    0    1      1            1                      1                 1               1
    0   1    1    0      1            0                      1                 1               0
    0   0    1    1      0            0                      1                 1               0

But here cleary is that it is not tautology, because left side of equation gets 0 1 1 1 and right side 0 1 0 0

So where did i make mistake, because i cant see it

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you sure you have the parentheses right in the expression that is to be proven?

4. May 11, 2010 #3
    yes, it is just like that in the excercise paper

5. May 11, 2010 #4
    so do you think that I have done it right and the excercise is badly worded?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook