1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truth table help... did I do it correctly

1. Jan 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question I'm asking about is number two. Should've made it clearer.
    20160128_181508.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    My proof table, I'm not sure but it seems that PΞQ is not true.
    20160128_181518.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2016 #2
    Hi Kingyou:

Your calculation looks right to me.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Jan 28, 2016 #3
    A few hints:
    1. Set out your truth table methodically - this makes it easier for you to check and easier for a marker to give you partial marks
      Code (Text):
      p q r
      -----
      T T T
      T T F
      T F T
      T F F
      F T T
      F T F
      F F T
      F F F
    2. Read the question carefully - why have you calculated p → r ?
    3. Learn the truth table for implies
      Code (Text):
      a b | a→b
      ----------
      T T | T
      T F | F
      F T | T
      F F | T

5. Jan 28, 2016 #4
    Awesome, thank you

6. Jan 29, 2016 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can also use an argument:
    Assume ## p\rightarrow## ~ r , and assume p. Then you have ##p\rightarrow q ##, from which q follows ,from which r follows.

7. Jan 29, 2016 #6
    How does that show that there are values of (p, q, r) for which the identity does not hold)?

8. Jan 29, 2016 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It shows there are none, since this shows that the wff is a theorem.

9. Jan 29, 2016 #8
    I don't understand which wff you are referring to, or any steps of your outline proof I am afraid. In any case I'm pretty sure the question setter is looking for a truth table and is going to mark a deductive proof harshly unless it is presented flawlessly - why take the risk?

10. Jan 29, 2016 #9

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I was unclear, I was aiming for a proof by contradiction, but I agree, might as well go for the truth table argument.

11. Jan 29, 2016 #10
    To be clear, I meant why have you calculated p → r (incorrectly) in the first calculated column of the TT?

12. Jan 29, 2016 #11

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assumed ## p \rightarrow -r ## together with the given premises and concluded r , so I showed by contradiction that ## p \rightarrow r ##. Unfortunately I don't know well the Latex for logic symbols to do
    the actual derivation of ## p \rightarrow r## and ##p \rightarrow - r ##..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  13. Jan 30, 2016 #12
    Oh this has got very confusing, my post #10 was intended to clarify my post #3 pointing out that the OP had misread the question which asks for (p → q) → (q → r) ≡ (p → r) and attempted to show a TT for (p → r) → (q → r) ≡ (p → r) instead.

As for your post #11 WWGD, note that the negation of ## (p \to q) \to (q \to r) \equiv (p \to r) ## is not ## (p \to q) \to (q \to r) \equiv (p \to \neg r) ## it is ##(p \to q) \to (q \to r) \neq (p \to r) ##

14. Jan 30, 2016 #13

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know (and you're right that I only proved one side of the equivalence), I don't mean to be impolite, but it is getting too confusing; let's just drop it if you don't mind, sorry for the dead end.

15. Jan 30, 2016 #14
    Agreed - the OP seems to have gone anyway (unfortunately I think with the impression that his workings were OK but we tried...)

16. Feb 2, 2016 #15
    What is wrong with my work?

17. Feb 2, 2016 #16
    Look at what you have written at the top of your fourth and sixth columns and read the question again.

And then apply the truth table I showed you correctly.

18. Feb 2, 2016 #17
    The easiest way to do this is to create the truth table for the expression

## (p \to q) \to (q \to r) ##

Then look for two things. First, check to see if the truth value (for any fixed values of p and r) depends on q. If so, the equivalence cannot hold. If not, then check if the truth table for the above expression produces the same values for a fixed p and r as ## (p \to r) ##.

19. Feb 3, 2016 #18

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the wrong result for a ⇒ b . The only instance in which a ⇒ b is false, is the case of a is false and b is true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted