1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Try to make a vapor fuel supply system

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    What would be the most basic and solid way of doing this for a gasoline engine? I've thought about using a ultrasonic mister but I am afraid that there may be a potential for a spark, don't wanna blow up. I've also tossed around the idea of heating the fuel to its evaporation temps, but not sure what the simplest way would be to do this. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2012 #2
    It happens automatically when the fuel hits the piston face which is much above the vaporization temp of gasoline.

4. Jan 15, 2012 #3
    I understand that, however I need it in a vapor state before entering the cylinder.

5. Jan 15, 2012 #4
    Run some insulated copper wires between the exhaust and intake manifolds. Should heat the intake pipes beyond 95C or wherever the boiling point of gasoline is at that pressure (less than 1atm because it is throttled).

Also you can move the fuel injector further upstream if it is too close to the intake port, to give it a chance to vaporize. I don't know what engine you have so this might not be necessary.

6. Jan 15, 2012 #5
    Its a 3.2L v6 isuzu fuel injected motor. I was thinking something a little more independent of the already existing fuel injection system. To my knowledge theres not enough room in the area to move the injectors.

7. Jan 15, 2012 #6

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What are you trying to achieve by this?

Usually vapor in the fuel lines is called a "vapor lock" and is not a good thing to have.

If you are bothered about starting in very cold conditions or something like that, pre-heating the intake air would be a better and safer idea.

8. Mar 3, 2012 #7
    Run an old school stove pipe off your exhaust into the air stream it will heat it up nicely.

9. Mar 3, 2012 #8
    Are you trying to solve some problem or make some improvement? Are you trying to develop a replacement for the existing fuel system or supplement it for some reason?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook