Trying to fill large gaps in my math education

In summary, the speaker is a 21-year-old physics undergraduate student who switched into physics from another major. They have gaps in their math education from grades 6-12 due to being unmotivated at the time. Despite doing well in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra in college, their lack of a strong foundation in basic math is causing difficulties in their physics classes. They struggle with visualizing functions, recalling algebra and geometry concepts, and understanding linearity. They are looking for recommendations for textbooks that can help fill in these gaps. The other person suggests reviewing Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Geometry on their own to improve their math abilities.
J1998
I am currently 21 years old in my 4th of 5 years of physics undergrad (switched into physics). I have massive gaps in the math education I should have gotten from 6th to 12th grade because I was a completely unmotivated student back then. Although I have done well in calculus, diff eqns and linear algebra in college, my lack of a strong foundation in very basic math has really started to cause me trouble in my physics classes.

Mainly I have trouble seeing functions graphically, recalling concepts in algebra and geometry, and things to do with linearity. Surely this is a common problem so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for textbooks perhaps that are written for people like me.

Physics news on Phys.org
j1998, what you describe is difficult to understand. Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and high school Geometry should fill-in what might be missing quite well for the grade 6 to grade 12 Mathematics abilities. Maybe a good Pre-Algebra textbook can help. Have you considered reviewing Algebra 1 & 2 on your own? Geometry also on your own? You can learn things better the second (and third) time through, than during the first time through.

1. What are some strategies for filling large gaps in my math education?

Some strategies for filling large gaps in math education include reviewing basic concepts, seeking additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials, practicing regularly, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher.

2. How can I determine which areas of math I need to focus on?

You can determine which areas of math you need to focus on by taking a diagnostic test or assessment, reviewing your past performance in math classes, and identifying specific topics or concepts that you struggle with.

3. Is it possible to catch up on a large gap in my math education?

Yes, it is possible to catch up on a large gap in your math education with dedication, persistence, and hard work. It may take time and effort, but with the right strategies and resources, you can improve your understanding and skills in math.

4. Can I fill large gaps in my math education on my own?

While it is possible to fill large gaps in math education on your own, it may be more effective to seek help from a tutor or teacher. They can provide guidance, personalized instruction, and feedback to help you improve your understanding and skills in math.

5. How long will it take to fill a large gap in my math education?

The time it takes to fill a large gap in math education varies for each individual and depends on the specific gap and the amount of effort put in. It may take weeks, months, or even longer, but with consistent practice and dedication, you can make progress and improve your math skills.