Trying to find orbital radius of a satellite

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
masterofphys
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A geostationary satellite in orbit around the Earth has a period identical to that of the Earth's daily rotation; the radius of such an orbit is 4.23 \times 10^4 kilometers. A system of satellites is proposed such that 15 satellites are in orbit at the same radius and each passes over a point fixed on the Earth 14 times per day (the times will be evenly spaced). What will be the orbital radius of each satellite? There will be two such radii; only the smaller will be practical.

Homework Equations



V = [tex]\sqrt{}Gm(earth)/r[/tex]
T = 2pir/v

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried finding what the current speed would be, but I got a larger value. I'm assuming the speed has to be 14 times what it originally is. I don't know where to begin!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than thinking what the speed should be, try to figure out what either the angular speed or the orbital period should be.