1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to find orbital radius of a satellite

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A geostationary satellite in orbit around the earth has a period identical to that of the earth's daily rotation; the radius of such an orbit is 4.23 \times 10^4 kilometers. A system of satellites is proposed such that 15 satellites are in orbit at the same radius and each passes over a point fixed on the Earth 14 times per day (the times will be evenly spaced). What will be the orbital radius of each satellite? There will be two such radii; only the smaller will be practical.

2. Relevant equations

V = [tex]\sqrt{}Gm(earth)/r[/tex]
    T = 2pir/v

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried finding what the current speed would be, but I got a larger value. I'm assuming the speed has to be 14 times what it originally is. I don't know where to begin!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rather than thinking what the speed should be, try to figure out what either the angular speed or the orbital period should be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?