Trying to show that rationals exist on the + real number line field K

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter CubicFlunky77
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Field Line
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
CubicFlunky77
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
This is the first 'problem' in my Linear Algebra/Geometry textbook. I just need to know if I am doing it correctly. Any hints? I also need to know if I am using correct notation/presentation.

Question: [itex]\mathbb R^+ \leftrightarrow \mathbb Q[/itex]?

What I've done:

Suppose: [itex](ε_1,...,ε_n) \in \mathbb R^+ \rightarrow \mathbb K[/itex] and
[itex](c_1,...,c_n) \in \mathbb Q \rightarrow \mathbb K[/itex]


Assuming: [itex]\mathbb R^+ ⊂ \mathbb K[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb Q ⊂ \mathbb K[/itex] where [itex]\mathbb K[/itex] is a numerical/object field; we can say that


[itex]\forall (ε \in \mathbb R^+, c \in \mathbb Q) \in \mathbb K \exists (ε \cap c) \in (\mathbb R^+ \bigcap \mathbb Q)[/itex] |[itex]\mathbb R^+ \leftrightarrow \mathbb Q[/itex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understood what you meant, but you can do this:

i)1 is in ℝ , 1 as the identity, since ℝ is a field.ii) 1+1=2 is in ℝ , by closure of operations

iii) (1+1)(-1)=1/2 is in ℝ , since every element in a field is invertible

iv)... Can you take it from here ( if this is what you meant)