1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Trying to solve the restricted two-body problem

1. Aug 29, 2016 #1
    I'm just trying to solve the restricted two-body problem mentioned in passing in my textbook:

##\mathbf{\ddot{r}}+\frac{GM}{r^2}\left(\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r}\right)=\mathbf{0}##

I understand the way to do it is to take the cross-product with the constant angular momentum ##\mathbf{h}## then integrate wrt time:

##\mathbf{\dot{r} \times h}= -\frac{GM}{r^2}\int \left(\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r}\right)\mathbf{\times h}\ dt##

But I'm not sure what to do next. Can I use the fact that ##\mathbf{h}=\mathbf{r \times \dot{r}}## to make it:

##\mathbf{\dot{r} \times h}= -\frac{GM}{r^2}\int \left(\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r}\right)\mathbf{\times r \times \dot{r}}\ dt##
    Can anyone help?
    The answer I'm trying to get to is:
    ##\mu\left(\frac{\mathbf{r}}{r} + \mathbf{e}\right)##, where ##\mathbf{e}## is a constant vector of integration and presumably ##\mu## is some constant related to G.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2016 #2
    Hi,

After you manage to use the angular momentum conservation, you need to do variable change from r to u = 1/r.
    Also there are many online texts which solve this problem.

BR,
    Ohad

4. Aug 30, 2016 #3
    Thanks. The problem I'm having is that the cross product of a vector with itself is zero, so I seem to get 0 in the integrand. Actually, I think the ##r^{-2}## term I factored out should also be in there, but that would still give me an integrand of:
    ##\int \frac{\mathbf{r \times r\times \dot{r}}}{r^3} dt##
    Isn't the inside of the integrand then zero?

5. Aug 30, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

It's simpler to work with differential equations. Starting from your EoM
    $$\ddot{\vec{r}}=-\frac{G M}{r^3} \vec{r},$$
    you can very easily derive the conservation of angular momentum (here everything is divided by ##m##, the mass of the "test particle"):
    $$\vec{r} \times \ddot{\vec{r}}=0.$$
    But on the other hand
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} (\vec{r} \times \dot{\vec{r}})=\dot{\vec{r}} \times \dot{\vec{r}} + \vec{r} \times \ddot{\vec{r}}=\vec{r} \times \ddot{\vec{r}}.$$
    Thus you have with ##\vec{h}=\vec{r} \times \dot{\vec{r}}##
    $$\dot{\vec{h}}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; \vec{h}=\text{const}.$$
    For ##\vec{h} \neq 0## it's clear that the motion is in a plane perpendicular to ##\vec{h}##. The standard way to proceed further is to use the conservation of energy as a 2nd first integral and solve for the orbit ##r=r(\phi)##, where ##r## and ##\phi## are polar coordinates in the plane.

Obviously your textbook follows another very elegant way, using the huge symmetry of the Kepler problem. The point is that for the ##1/r## potential there is an extra symmetry, which leads to another conserved vector, the Runge-Lenz vector in the plane of motion. To derive it we use
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} (\dot{\vec{r}} \times \vec{h})=\ddot{\vec{r}} \times \vec{h}=-\frac{GM}{r^3} \vec{r} \times \vec{h} \qquad (*).$$
    On the other hand we have
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t}=\frac{\vec{r}}{r} = \frac{r \dot{\vec{r}}-\dot{r} \vec{r}}{r^2}.$$
    Now we have (check it!)
    $$\dot{\vec{r}} = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \sqrt{\vec{r} \cdot \vec{r}}=\frac{\vec{r} \cdot \dot{\vec{r}}}{r}=-\frac{\vec{r} \times \vec{h}}{r^3}.$$
    Multiplying with ##GM## and subtracting from (*) you get
    $$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \left [\dot{\vec{r}} \times \vec{h} - G M \frac{\vec{r}}{r} \right]=0,$$
    i.e., the Runge-Lenz vector
    $$\vec{e}= \dot{\vec{r}} \times \vec{h} - G M \frac{\vec{r}}{r}=\text{const} \qquad(**).$$
    From this it's very easy to find the shape of the orbit by introducing polar coordinates in the orbital plane with ##\vec{e}## as the polar axis. Multiplying (**) with ##\vec{r}## you get
    $$\vec{r} \cdot \vec{e} = r e \cos \varphi.$$
    On the other hand from the definition of the Runge-Lenz vector) you have
    $$\vec{r} \cdot \vec{e} = \vec{r} \cdot (\dot{\vec{r}} \times \vec{h})-GM r = (\vec{r} \times \dot{\vec{r}}) \cdot \vec{h} - G M r =h^2-G M r.$$
    Together with the previous equation you find
    $$r=\frac{h^2}{GM+e \cos \varphi}=\frac{h^2/(GM)}{1+e/(GM) \cos \varphi}.$$
    This is a conic section with the excentricity ##\epsilon=e/(GM)##, i.e., an ellipse for ##0<\epsilon<1##, a circle for ##\epsilon=0##, a parabola for ##\epsilon=1##, and a hyperbola for ##\epsilon>1##.

6. Aug 30, 2016 #5
    Thanks, that's an awesome answer. I'm going to come back to it to work through properly, and make sure I understand it fully.
    Thanks for taking the time out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted