1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to understand the solution given

1. Jan 1, 2015 #1
    Hello, following is the mechanics problem involving pulley from an engineering mechanics book. I am trying to understand the solution given. As the car is being pulled, upward of the incline is assumed to be positive x direction. But when they apply the relative acceleration equation, in eq 3, the acceleration of the point P with respect to the car is entered as +4. Since the acceleration of the point P with respect to the car is acting downward the incline, this should be entered as -4 in equation 3. What people here think ? I have attached the problem and its solution as the PNG image file. problem.png

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Read it more carefully. It says the position and acceleration of the car are measured down the plane.

4. Jan 18, 2015 #3
    Hello haruspex, sorry for late reply. But where is the statement which says that position and acceleration are measured down the plane ? If you look at the picture of the axes given in the solution, positive x axis is point upward the incline.....

5. Jan 18, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Look at the direction of the arrows in diagram (b).

6. Jan 18, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Second sentence in the paragraph headed "free body diagram"

7. Jan 18, 2015 #6
    yes, I see now. thanks both of you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted