Trying to understand why a set is both open and closed

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed Set
In summary, under the usual metric, the set ##X## is open and closed. The subset ##[0,1]## is open in ##X## because it is the preimage of (for example) the open set (-2, 1.4) in ##\mathbb R##.
Mr Davis 97
Take the subset of ##\mathbb{R}##, ##X = [0,1]\cup [2,3]##. Under the usual metric, the set ##X## is open and closed, according to my text. How is this the case? In particular, how is ##[0,1]## open in ##X##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether a subset is open or not depends on the topology you have on your full set. If your full set is ##X## and you have the induced topology, then ##X## is open in ##X## by definition (it must be!)

[0,1] is open in ##X## because it is the preimage of (for example) the open set (-2, 1.4) in ##\mathbb R##.

##[0,1] \cup [2,3]## is open in ##X## because it is the preimage of ##\mathbb R## itself (thereby satisfying the topology axiom that the set itself must be open).

Addendum: ##X## is open in the induced topology on ##X##. It is not open as a subset of ##\mathbb R##.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Take the subset of ##\mathbb{R}##, ##X = [0,1]\cup [2,3]##. Under the usual metric, the set ##X## is open and closed, according to my text. How is this the case? In particular, how is ##[0,1]## open in ##X##?
##[0,1] =(-0.1,1.1) \cap [0,1] \cup [2,3]##. This satisfies the definition of open in subspaces.

Likes Mr Davis 97
WWGD said:
##[0,1] =(-0.1,1.1) \cap [0,1] \cup [2,3]##. This satisfies the definition of open in subspaces.
I suppose I understand now how to show that something IS open or closed, but how do you show that something is not? For example, why isn't ##(1/4,3/4)## closed in ##(1/2,1]##? Do I have to show that for all closed subsets ##C## of ##\mathbb{R}##, that ##(1/4,3/4) \not = (1/2,1] \cap C##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
I suppose I understand now how to show that something IS open or closed, but how do you show that something is not? For example, why isn't ##(1/4,3/4)## closed in ##(1/2,1]##? Do I have to show that for all closed subsets ##C## of ##\mathbb{R}##, that ##(1/4,3/4) \not = (1/2,1] \cap C##?
You do it as usual. Show that there is a sequence in ##(1/4,3/4)## which converges to, say ##3/4\,.##

Mr Davis 97 said:
Easiest way (I think): [2,3] is closed in ##X##. Since [itex] [0, 1] = X -[2, 3][/itex], [0,1] is the complement in ##X## of [2,3] and so must be open.

1. What does it mean for a set to be both open and closed?

A set being both open and closed means that it satisfies the conditions of being open and closed at the same time. In other words, the set contains all of its boundary points and also has no boundary points.

2. How can a set be both open and closed at the same time?

This concept can be a bit confusing, but it is possible for a set to satisfy both the conditions of being open and closed. This usually occurs in sets with discrete elements, where all points are both interior and exterior points of the set.

3. What is the significance of a set being both open and closed?

A set being both open and closed has important implications in topology and real analysis. It allows for the existence of discontinuous functions and helps to define the concept of connectedness in a topological space.

4. Can you give an example of a set that is both open and closed?

One example of a set that is both open and closed is the set of all integers. This set contains all of its boundary points (the integers themselves) and has no boundary points since it is discrete. Therefore, it satisfies both conditions of being open and closed.

5. How does the concept of a set being both open and closed relate to the concept of closure?

A set being both open and closed can be seen as a special case of a closed set, where the set is also open. In other words, the closure of a set is the smallest closed set that contains the original set, and in some cases, this smallest closed set can also be open.