Tunes vs. words - how do you process music?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a group of individuals discussing their difficulty in understanding the meaning of lyrics in songs while simultaneously listening to the melody. They hypothesize that this may be due to a disconnect between the analytical and creative sides of the brain, and they also mention the importance of lyrics and how some songs may have incomprehensible lyrics. The conversation also references a poll on a forum discussing this topic.

Do you have trouble listening the music and lyrics of a song simultaneously?

• No, I have little or no trouble doing this.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Yes, I have difficulty doing this too! You are not a freak! (At least this specific regard)

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DaveC426913
Gold Member
delete!

I have always had what appears to be a rather limiting perception of music - specifically vocals.

I am unable or unwilling to understand word in the music I listen to. People always say, "I really like these words" or "this song has so much meaning" and I'm like all "What?"

When I listen to music, I hear the vocals as simply another muscial instrument. A very complex one, granted. I mean, the words are important as if they are individual notes in a melody (humming is not the same at all), but I am unable to understand the meaning of the words while simultaneously listening to the tune/melody. Not 100%, mind. I do get much, but there's definitely an element of partial deafness to this input.

If asked to listen to the lyrics, I can do so, but then I have to filter out the music. If asked to listen to the melody, I am unable to understand the import of the words.

Nobody I know seems to have any trouble doing both simultaneously.

I hypothesize that it is due to a relatively poor communication between my left (speech/analytical) and right(creative/musical) brain hemispheres (despite the fact that it is in fashion to consider brain specialization debunked).

Anyone else experience this phenom?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I think its like trying to have one hand make a clockwise circle and one leg make a counter clockwise circle. Your brain isn't designed to do it. I think your brain is also not designed to discern both the lyrics and the melody at once distinctly. Though I could be wrong.

I too have always believed that vocals are another musical instrument in songs and have debated this much with my friends. I never get what lyrics mean.

Kurdt said:
I never get what lyrics mean.
Even when I read some lyrics, I don't get what they mean, but then I was never good at analyzing poetry. When it comes to a song with lyrics and music, I listen to both, but I generally focus more on the music (harmony, bass line, percussion, . . . ) as opposed to the meaning of the lyrics. And not only do I have trouble understanding the meaning of some lyrics, I have trouble even understanding the lyrics as sung because artists, more the modern ones, don't seem to annunciate. I've always ascribed it to a personal deficiency.

Same here. I can't do both at all.

Interesting that a lot of people on physics forums (i.e. scientists and mathematicians and related professions) have difficulty with the understanding of lyrics and the meanings of songs are far less important than the tunes themselves. As I said in the previous post I argue a lot with friends (who are not in scientific professions or studying science) about musics and they all seem to ascribe an equal importance on the lyrics and the meaning of the lyrics as the tune itself. I myself ascribe no importance to the meaning of the lyrics and base the decisions about the music I like solely on how good it sounds to me.

Anyway I'd be interested to see how this difference in opinion splits because I feel very much in the minority with my take on music. I'm actually quite glad to hear that other people feel the same way.

I can pick out certian instruments and voices in songs and observe those individually. Otherwise, I just hear the music as instruments/vocals that are not words, and words. It takes me several listens before I can identify the words though.

Alot of song lyrics are incomprehensible (you can't make out what they're saying, or, you can make it out but it's random phrases) even if you do listen to them, so normally I don't bother.

Sometimes, though, it becomes clear after hearing a song many times that the lyrics are actually quite good and understanding them makes it a much more interesting song.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does the brain process music?

The brain processes music by using a complex network of neural pathways. Different parts of the brain, such as the auditory cortex and the limbic system, work together to interpret and analyze the various elements of music, such as melody, rhythm, and emotion.

2. What is the difference between processing tunes and words?

Tunes and words are processed differently in the brain. Tunes are primarily processed in the auditory cortex, while words are processed in the language centers of the brain. Tunes also tend to have a more emotional impact on the brain, while words are more closely linked to cognitive processes.

3. How do emotions play a role in processing music?

Emotions play a significant role in how the brain processes music. Studies have shown that certain types of music can elicit specific emotional responses, such as happiness, sadness, or fear. This is because music activates the limbic system, which is responsible for regulating emotions.

4. Can music influence our thoughts and behaviors?

Yes, music can have a significant influence on our thoughts and behaviors. Studies have shown that certain types of music can enhance cognitive function, improve mood, and even influence decision-making. Music can also be used as a therapeutic tool to help manage emotions and behaviors.

5. How does music processing change with age?

As we age, our ability to process music may change. Older adults may have a harder time processing complex musical elements, such as rhythm and pitch, but can still have a strong emotional response to music. Additionally, certain types of music may become more enjoyable or preferred as we age, as our tastes and preferences evolve.