Tunneling through a finite potential barrier

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions about the behavior of particles in a potential barrier. The exponential decay of the wavefunction inside the barrier is explained by the likelihood of a random walk returning to the starting point. The concept of the particle "going into" the barrier is clarified, and it is noted that any measurement will transfer energy to the particle, affecting its behavior.
BearY
I have 3 questions. After thinking about it I feel these questions may indicate that I have some misunderstanding in basic knowledge or some missed parts.
1. Why is the (time independent) wavefunction an exponential decay inside the potential barrier? I know the mathematical derivation, but I am confused why traveling in a region with constant potential would cause the probability density to decrease.
2. When crossing from the finite barrier region to zero potential region, reflection still happens. Why is that happening? I think if I just take it for granted that it would happen, I can derive the wavefunction, but I am confused why it is happening.
3. When the initial kinetic energy is larger than the potential energy the particle would acquire in the barrier, neither reflection nor the exponential decay happens. At first, it is natural to me so I didn't think about it too much about it. But after thinking about the first 2 questions, I am starting to question why is this happening as well.

Likes A. Neumaier
Physics news on Phys.org
BearY said:
I am confused why traveling in a region with constant potential would cause the probability density to decrease.
Imagine a random walk inside the barrier. If the barrier is wide it is far more likely to return to the region one started than to cross the barrier. This likelihood decreases exponentially with the width of the barrier.

Likes BearY
A. Neumaier said:
Imagine a random walk inside the barrier. If the barrier is wide it is far more likely to return to the region one started than to cross the barrier. This likelihood decreases exponentially with the width of the barrier.
Thank you for the reply. That does explain why it is exponential if I imagine the displacement inside the barrier as a Bernoulli process about going backward or forward. But what is causing it to go back to start with? When the particle went into the barrier, it seems it acquired potential energy that it does not have. Does it have anything to do with this "random walk"?

BearY said:
When the particle went into the barrier, it seems it acquired potential energy that it does not have.
The particle does not "go into" the barrier, and if it were to tunnel from one side of the barrier to the other it has not moved through the barrier or ever been "in" it, so there's no question of it ever "going back" The wave function isn't telling you anything about where the particle is or is not, it is telling you the probability of finding it at any given location when and if you measure its position.

Any measurement involves a interaction with the particle, and that interaction will necessarily transfer energy and momentum between the particle and the measuring device. If a measurement finds the particle in the classically forbidden region, then the measuring device has transferred energy to the particle so that the total energy of the particle+device system is conserved. If we don't measure the particle and find it in the classically forbidden region, then it was never there (even if successive measurements find it on opposite sides of the barrier) so there's no potential energy to acquire.

1. What is tunneling through a finite potential barrier?

Tunneling through a finite potential barrier is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which a particle with insufficient energy to overcome a potential barrier can still pass through it due to its wave-like nature.

2. How does tunneling through a finite potential barrier work?

In quantum mechanics, particles are described by wave functions which can extend beyond the physical boundaries of a potential barrier. When a particle encounters a finite potential barrier, there is a small probability that it will "tunnel" through the barrier and emerge on the other side.

3. What are the factors that affect the probability of tunneling through a finite potential barrier?

The probability of tunneling through a finite potential barrier depends on the height and width of the barrier, as well as the energy and mass of the particle. Higher barriers and wider barriers decrease the probability of tunneling, while lower barriers and narrower barriers increase the probability.

4. What are some real-life applications of tunneling through a finite potential barrier?

Tunneling through a finite potential barrier has a wide range of applications, including scanning tunneling microscopy, which allows scientists to image and manipulate individual atoms on surfaces. It is also used in tunnel diodes, which are important components in electronic devices such as microwave oscillators and amplifiers.

5. What are the implications of tunneling through a finite potential barrier for the understanding of quantum mechanics?

Tunneling through a finite potential barrier is a key example of quantum mechanical phenomena that cannot be explained by classical physics. It demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter and challenges our traditional understanding of particles as solid, physical objects. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing technologies based on quantum mechanics.