Turing-recognizable infinite language, decidable subset

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that every infinite Turning-recognizable language has an infinite decidable subset. The idea of modifying the recognizer to reject strings that don't halt is proposed, but it may not result in an infinite subset. The use of an enumerator is suggested, but it is not clear how to construct an infinite subset using it. The conversation concludes with considering a lexicographic enumerator over the language and setting it to run, with the possibility of either finding an infinite subset or not being able to find one after a finite amount of time.
phoenix-anna
Summary:: Show that every infinite Turning-recognizable language has an infinite decidable subset

Sipser's Theory of Computation, third edition, chapter three contains and exercise that asks us to demonstrate this. I don't know how to do this; I have certain ideas. We could modify the recognizer to reject strings whose prefix matches the shortest strings on which the recognizer doesn't halt. This machine would, I believe, decide a subset of the original recognized language. However, it is not clear that the resulting subset is non-empty, let alone infinite.

Physics news on Phys.org
  1. Although this is not homework it belongs in a homework section, I'll get it moved.
  2. This is not an easy question if you have not seen it before.
  3. I don't think you will get there with your recogniser.
Try an enumerator.

Likes berkeman
Well the hint says to consider enumerators. It is clear that the recognized language is enumerable. However, it seems we need a subset that can be enumerated in a finite number of trials. If we run the enumerator 1000 times, for example, we will see 1000 or fewer strings in the language. That is a subset but it is not infinite. It seems that to get an infinite subset we would have to run the enumerator 1000 times. So I am still not seeing the answer.

phoenix-anna said:
However, it seems we need a subset that can be enumerated in a finite number of trials.
Aren't we looking for an infinite subset? Anyway, let's not consider an enumerator over a subset when we haven't worked out yet how to construct any subset.

Instead, consider a lexicographic enumerator ## E ## over the language ## L ##. Write down an arbitrary string ## w ## and set ## E ## running. After finite time then one of two things must happen.

1. What is a Turing-recognizable infinite language?

A Turing-recognizable infinite language is a set of infinite strings that can be recognized by a Turing machine, which is a mathematical model of computation that can perform any algorithmic task.

2. How is a decidable subset different from a Turing-recognizable infinite language?

A decidable subset is a subset of a Turing-recognizable infinite language that can be decided by a Turing machine, meaning that the machine will always halt and give a correct answer for any given input. In contrast, a Turing-recognizable infinite language may contain strings that the machine will never halt on.

3. Can a decidable subset be an infinite language?

Yes, a decidable subset can be an infinite language. As long as the subset can be decided by a Turing machine, it can be infinite in size.

4. How can a Turing-recognizable infinite language be used in computer science?

Turing-recognizable infinite languages are used in computer science to study the limits of computation and the types of problems that can be solved by algorithms. They are also used in the development of programming languages and the design of computer systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Turing-recognizable infinite languages?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of Turing-recognizable infinite languages, such as natural language processing, artificial intelligence, and data compression. These applications use algorithms and machines to recognize and process infinite sets of data, which can be modeled using Turing-recognizable infinite languages.