1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Turning Acceleration into g's - Is 40 g's a lie?

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    Turning Acceleration into g's -- Is 40 g's a lie?

I gave my physics students this question and had them calculate it, but I either don't believe the answer or I don't believe the claims made about this guy.
    Col. John Stapp was a pioneer in human/g-force research. In one experiment he went from 0-632mph in less than 4 seconds, then at the end of the run, slowed to 0mph in less than 3 seconds. (You can see it in this video: ) Reportedly, he survived 40 g's of force, but our calculations show only 7 and 9.7 g's. Either we're wrong, or the claim is wrong/misunderstood.

3. The attempt at a solution

mph converted to ft/sec --> 632mi/hr * 5280 ft/mi * 1hr/3600sec = 927ft/sec

a= 927ft/sec / 3 sec(to stop) = 309ft/s^2

# of g's = 309ft/s^2 / 32ft/s^2 per g = 9.7 g's

If Col. Stapp did experience 40 g's, that would equal an acceleration of 1296ft/s^2.

dv/a= dt, so 927ft/sec / 1296 ft/s^2 = time to stop from 632mph in order to experience 40 g's = 0.72 seconds

So what's the deal? How was the original 40 g's calculated?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Turning Acceleration into g's -- Is 40 g's a lie?

Your calc is correct. The 40 g's is likely a misunderstanding of the concept of a 'g' force.

Note that if Col. Strapp weighs about 128 pounds (4 slugs worth of mass), then the force acting on him during his deceleration is (4)(309) = 1200 pounds or so, so mistakenly someone may have divided the force by 32 to come up with the '40' , which is the wrong approach, but I'm just guessing, I don't know what they did.....

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook