Turning Acceleration into g's - Is 40 g's a lie?

In summary, the claim that Col. John Stapp survived 40 g's of force during his experiment of going from 0 to 632mph in less than 4 seconds and then coming to a stop in less than 3 seconds is most likely a misunderstanding of the concept of a "g" force. The calculations done by the physics students show that the actual g forces experienced were 9.7 g's and not 40 g's as claimed. It is possible that someone mistakenly divided the force by 32, resulting in the incorrect calculation of 40 g's.
mrkern
Turning Acceleration into g's -- Is 40 g's a lie?

I gave my physics students this question and had them calculate it, but I either don't believe the answer or I don't believe the claims made about this guy.
Col. John Stapp was a pioneer in human/g-force research. In one experiment he went from 0-632mph in less than 4 seconds, then at the end of the run, slowed to 0mph in less than 3 seconds. (You can see it in this video: ) Reportedly, he survived 40 g's of force, but our calculations show only 7 and 9.7 g's. Either we're wrong, or the claim is wrong/misunderstood.

The Attempt at a Solution

mph converted to ft/sec --> 632mi/hr * 5280 ft/mi * 1hr/3600sec = 927ft/sec

a= 927ft/sec / 3 sec(to stop) = 309ft/s^2

# of g's = 309ft/s^2 / 32ft/s^2 per g = 9.7 g's

If Col. Stapp did experience 40 g's, that would equal an acceleration of 1296ft/s^2.

dv/a= dt, so 927ft/sec / 1296 ft/s^2 = time to stop from 632mph in order to experience 40 g's = 0.72 seconds

So what's the deal? How was the original 40 g's calculated?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your calc is correct. The 40 g's is likely a misunderstanding of the concept of a 'g' force.

Note that if Col. Strapp weighs about 128 pounds (4 slugs worth of mass), then the force acting on him during his deceleration is (4)(309) = 1200 pounds or so, so mistakenly someone may have divided the force by 32 to come up with the '40' , which is the wrong approach, but I'm just guessing, I don't know what they did...

What is the definition of "g" in relation to acceleration?

The term "g" refers to the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that for every second an object falls, its speed increases by 9.8 m/s.

What is the difference between acceleration and g-forces?

Acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of an object's velocity, while g-forces are a measure of the force that an object experiences due to acceleration. G-forces are typically measured in units of "g's", with 1 g being equal to the normal force of gravity on Earth.

How is acceleration converted into g-forces?

To convert acceleration into g-forces, the acceleration is divided by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This will give the number of g-forces that an object is experiencing. For example, an acceleration of 20 m/s² would be equivalent to approximately 2 g's.

Is 40 g's a realistic or achievable level of acceleration?

No, 40 g's is not a realistic or achievable level of acceleration for humans. Most people can only withstand around 9 g's before experiencing loss of consciousness, and even the most advanced fighter jets can only reach a maximum of 9-10 g's.

Why is there a misconception that 40 g's is possible?

The misconception that 40 g's is possible may stem from misunderstandings or exaggerations in media and entertainment, where extreme levels of acceleration are often portrayed as achievable. Additionally, some people may confuse g-forces with the level of acceleration, leading to the belief that 40 g's is a realistic measurement.