1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turning the Corner Circular Motion

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1
    I am not sure where to start for this problem:
    A concrete highway curve of 80m is banked at a 16degree angle. What is the max speed with which a 1600kg rubber-tired car can take this curve without sliding?

I know the static coefficient of friction of rubber on concrete is 1.
    I know that the max static friction=coefficient of static friction x normal force.

Please HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a free body diagram for the car on the banked curve. The sum of the forces acting on the car must be horizontal and the magnitude of that net force must be what is making the car travel in a circular path.

4. Nov 8, 2006 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Step 1: Draw a free body diagram. The easiest way for this problem is to take the reference frame of the car.

5. Nov 8, 2006 #4
    I did this and I have the weight force down and the normal force going northwest, the angle of it equal to 16degrees, and then I think I also have a static friction force, but I'm not sure...do I put this right on the r axis, going left??

so I would have the F(net)in the r direction=nsin(16) + max static frictional force?

and the F(net) in the z direction=ncos(16)-w?

Am I setting this up right?

6. Nov 8, 2006 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The friction force is parallel to the surface. In this case it helping to keep the car from slipping up the bank, so it is down the the bank. It has horizontal and vertical components, as do the other forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?