[TUT] How to lock folder without any software (Windows OS)

In summary, if you want to protect a folder, you can do so by using loc.bat to create a "Locker" folder, and then entering a password to access the folder.
Physicsissuef
First, open Notepad, and paste the code below.

Change the password in the fields where is "type your password"

Go to, File/ Save As...

Save the file as loc.bat

Starting loc.bat will automatically create folder called Locker, which later you could use for protecting your files or folders inside of this folder.

When you will open loc.bat again, it will ask you for password and if you have typed the password correctly, it will unlock your folder.

Enjoy! :smile:

Code:
cls
@ECHO OFF
title Folder Locker
if EXIST "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" goto UNLOCK
if NOT EXIST Locker goto MDLOCKER
:CONFIRM
echo Are you sure u want to Lock the folder(Y/N)
set/p "cho=>"
if %cho%==Y goto LOCK
if %cho%==y goto LOCK
if %cho%==n goto END
if %cho%==N goto END
echo Invalid choice.
goto CONFIRM
:LOCK
ren Locker "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
attrib +h +s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
echo Folder locked
goto End
:UNLOCK
echo Enter password to Unlock folder
set/p "pass=>"
if NOT %pass%==type your password here goto FAIL
attrib -h -s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
ren "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" Locker
echo Folder Unlocked successfully
goto End
:FAIL
echo Invalid password
goto end
:MDLOCKER
md Locker
echo Locker created successfully
goto End
:End

Computer science news on Phys.org
Isn't the same as
"attrib -h -s your_folder" ?
Why to use a password ? (cause anyone could type the code, and see the password )

Last edited:
No. If you type the code again, and save it like loc.bat, you can see the password, since there is already created folder named "Locker".

Physicsissuef said:
No. If you type the code again, and save it like loc.bat, you can see the password, since there is already created folder named "Locker".

That's what I said. So, why the password ?

FernBarc said:
That's what I said. So, why the password ?

It is useless! The key is in the lock...

Anyway you don't depend on the password. Just rename the folder (any name works) , and execute "attrib -h -s new_name" .

The "locked folder" is gone...

:smile:

1. How can I protect my sensitive files on Windows without using any software?

One way to lock a folder without using any software on Windows is by creating a password-protected zip file. You can do this by right-clicking on the folder, selecting "Send to" and then "Compressed (zipped) folder". After the zip file is created, you can double-click on it and select "File" followed by "Add a password" to set a password for the folder.

2. Can I lock a folder without changing its location on Windows?

Yes, you can lock a folder on Windows without changing its location by using the built-in feature of "Encrypting File System (EFS)". Right-click on the folder, select "Properties" and then click on the "Advanced" button. Check the box next to "Encrypt contents to secure data" and click "OK". This will lock the folder without changing its location.

3. Is there a way to lock a folder on Windows for multiple users?

Yes, you can lock a folder on Windows for multiple users by using the "Shared Folders" feature. Right-click on the folder, select "Properties" and then click on the "Sharing" tab. Click on the "Advanced Sharing" button and check the box next to "Share this folder". You can then specify the users who can access the folder and their level of permissions.

4. How do I unlock a locked folder on Windows?

To unlock a locked folder on Windows, you can simply enter the password that you set for the folder. If the folder is encrypted using EFS, you will need to log in with the same user account that was used to encrypt the folder. You can also use the "Advanced Sharing" options to give yourself access to the folder if it was shared with specific users.

5. Can I lock a folder on Windows without a password?

Yes, you can lock a folder on Windows without a password by changing its permissions. Right-click on the folder, select "Properties" and then click on the "Security" tab. Click on the "Edit" button and remove all the users from the list except for your own user account. This will prevent anyone else from accessing the folder without entering a password, but it is not as secure as using a password-protected zip file or EFS encryption.