TV shows you are ashamed to say you watch

• Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date
  • Tags
    watch
In summary, the conversation was about various shows that are available on youtube.com. Benny Hill was mentioned, as well as the three big cartoon shows: The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Futurama. Jerry Springer was also mentioned. One show mentioned was Sailor Moon, which was due to a crush the person had on female cartoon characters. Maury Povich was also mentioned, as he has a regal look to him and could be the heir to the crown of a European country. Reality TV was also mentioned, and one show mentioned was "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", which was due to a crush the person had on a cartoon character.
hbk4894
i will start with Jeremy Kyle show - i know it is chav tv but just can't resist a good lie detector test episode.

Physics news on Phys.org
the three big cartoon ones, i.e. simpsons, family guy & Futurama re-runs...I'm liking Futurama more now...as my tastes mature :)

Oh and survivor, that's a little shameful too

I used to watch Blind Date late at night when it was on broadcast TV. I was surprised to find out just now that reruns are still being shown on cable TV, which I don't have.

OMG jtbell! I totally forgot about that show, was very funny.

I like to watch Maury Povich do his paternity thingy. The show is so low just about anything looks good after that.

edward said:
The show is so low just about anything looks good after that.
Are you forgetting Fox News and Springer?

Never mind the nagging... the best part about no longer having the wife is that Springer has never appeared on my TV since we split the sheets. I couldn't get away from that @)&^!%Y%$ing son of a #*(^#IW%# while she had the remote.

My Little Pony.

"Say Yes To The Dress". Both the NY and Atlanta versions. I don't know why I can't stop watching that show!

{bows head down in shame}

However, I draw the line at the "Bridesmaid" version. I don't watch that one, so I must have some dignity left in me!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I must have some dignity left in me
Yeah... :olduhh:
Keep telling yourself that... :devil:

Quiz "Who wants to be a millionaire"

Jerry Springer, I like all the fights.

Fashion Trance. Loved the music and the catwalks.

I could never watch Springer. It gave me a dirty feeling just from listening to it if it was on in another room. I felt like I had to take a shower. Maury is pretty trashy too. I don't need to know those people exist.

But one show I should probably be ashamed of watching that I watched anyway was Sailor Moon. I would be ashamed to say the reason I watched it, which was that I had a crush on female cartoon characters.

Likes Medicol
edward said:
I like to watch Maury Povich do his paternity thingy. The show is so low just about anything looks good after that.

But the funny thing is that , unlike Springer, Povich has a kind of regal, distinguished look to him, as if he could be the heir to the crown of some European country. I knew of someone who had the line (often heard in Povich's show) " you are _not_ the father" for his ringtone.

Last edited:
Likes edward
WWGD said:
he could be the heir to the crown of some European country.
Middle Earth country, maybe. Europeans aren't that stupid.

After the list of things above, why am I feeling pretty smart ? then I mess that up, thinking about the cartoon babe in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". :H:(

Likes Danger
RonL said:
I mess that up, thinking about the cartoon babe in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".
Are you kidding! If you didn't sprout a chubby over her, I'd test you for a pulse or mental illness. I can't think of one guy in my acquaintance who doesn't love that show.
Oh, wait... 2 guys, but they're gay...

Likes Medicol
Maury is even more cynical than Jerry Springer. At least Jerry laughs at his guests right to their face, Povich holds it all in and tries to look like he is trying to help them!

Likes Medicol
RonL said:
After the list of things above, why am I feeling pretty smart ? then I mess that up, thinking about the cartoon babe in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit". :H:(

How absurd, falling in love with a cartoon movie character...both Betty and Veronica from Archie are way hotter.

Likes Danger
WWGD said:
Betty and Veronica from Archie are way hotter.
Well... in that particular genre, I have to disagree. It was always Midge for me... :oldlove:

Cupcake wars :s

Maylis said:
Maury is even more cynical than Jerry Springer. At least Jerry laughs at his guests right to their face, Povich holds it all in and tries to look like he is trying to help them!

Yes, well, in "Reality" TV, it is all about creating something that will appeal to the audience. Part of the ugly side of capitalism, I guess; if you don't do that, you're out.I would like to see a show about psychics with weight problems: " The Medium is a Large".
Or consolidate all the shows and do one on hoarding overweight mediums , or, a prostituting medium ( large) : whoreding overweight mediums.

Likes Danger

1. What are some examples of "TV shows you are ashamed to say you watch"?

Some examples of these types of TV shows could be reality shows with a lot of drama and controversy, low-quality sitcoms or dramas, or shows that are considered "guilty pleasures" by many people.

2. Why do people feel ashamed to admit they watch certain TV shows?

There can be a number of reasons why someone might feel embarrassed or ashamed to admit they watch certain TV shows. It could be because they are seen as lowbrow or lacking in quality, or because the show's content may be controversial or perpetuate negative stereotypes. Some people may also feel pressure to watch more highbrow or critically acclaimed shows to be seen as culturally sophisticated.

3. Is it normal to enjoy watching "bad" TV shows?

Yes, it is completely normal to enjoy watching TV shows that may not be critically acclaimed or considered high-quality. Everyone has different tastes and preferences, and what one person may consider a "bad" show, another person may find entertaining and enjoyable. It's important not to judge others or feel ashamed for enjoying a certain type of TV show.

4. Are there any potential negative effects of watching "TV shows you are ashamed to say you watch"?

Watching TV shows that are considered low-quality or controversial may have some negative effects on individuals, such as perpetuating negative stereotypes or promoting unrealistic expectations about relationships and life. It's important for viewers to be aware of the potential impact of the media they consume and to critically evaluate the messages being portrayed.

5. Can watching "TV shows you are ashamed to say you watch" be a form of escapism?

Yes, watching TV shows that are considered "guilty pleasures" can definitely serve as a form of escapism for some people. These types of shows often offer mindless entertainment and can be a way for viewers to temporarily escape from their daily stresses and responsibilities. However, it's important to remember to balance this type of escapism with more meaningful and enriching activities.