Movies that you watch over and over again

In summary, some movies that I enjoy watching over and over again are "The Return of the Living Dead", "Tucker and Dale versus Evil", "Planet Terror", and "Secret of the Telegians".
pinball1970 said:
I am not sure I would watch the film Infinity about Feynman over and over.
The focus is on his relationship with Arleen rather than the Science.

Thanks! I didn't even know that movie existed.

I watched the PBS Nova program about him several times: Last Journey of a Genius
Original broadcast date: 01/24/1989
I don't think I'd heard of him before that came out.

Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
Thanks! I didn't even know that movie existed.

I watched the PBS Nova program about him several times: Last Journey of a Genius
There are not that many films about scientists. 'The imitation game.' with Cumberbatch I recommend rather than 'Theory of everything,' that came after.
Damn busters is the other famous one that have seen again and again.

Paul Dirac would be a good subject for a film I always thought.
If you have not read 'The strangest man' I recommend it.
Is there one about Einstein? There is a series called 'Genius' that is pretty good.
I'll have a search around.

Edit: A beautiful mind! How could I forget that?! That is one can watch over and over.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc and DennisN
pinball1970 said:
'The imitation game.' with Cumberbatch I recommend
Yes, I really, really liked that one too!
Which wouldn't be a surprise to someone who knows me, since I like Cumberbatch1, computing and cryptography and I am also very interested in history incl. WW2. In short, it's my kind of movie :smile:. And I also think the acting was excellent.

Trailer for those lucky ones who have not seen it yet:
1 And I am a big fan of the Sherlock tv series (a modern version of Sherlock Holmes), where Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and others also are excellent.

Trailer for those lucky ones who have not seen it yet:

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and Klystron
The Court Jester...Fargo...Sideways...Being There...Dr. Strangelove...Freeway... and last, but not least, Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion.

Likes Klystron and OmCheeto
Johnny Yuma said:
The Court Jester...Fargo...Sideways...Being There...Dr. Strangelove...Freeway... and last, but not least, Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion.
Weird.
3 of these are some of my favorites: Fargo, Being There, Dr. Strangelove
Whilst the other 4, I've never even heard of.
Thanks!

One more...A Kiss Before Dying. Robert Wagner, Jeffrey Hunter and 2 women I forgot.

The Mask! Going back to it once in a month, and have had a week-long binge on watching it lately (virtually, every evening). Awesome.

Likes Klystron
Inception.
If I forget to watch it for more than 2 years, it might feel like I'm missing a "kick."
If I get to that point, I'd better hope my present reality is worth being an illusion.

Likes Klystron and DennisN
James Bond
The Prestige
Sherlock Holmes
Bourne Series
Lord of The Rings

Likes pinball1970
Given "current events," re-watched AQOTWF, and The Last Emperor; worth the time.

Bystander said:
AQOTWF
Had to look that acronym up: "All Quiet On The Western Front".

I strongly remember reading the English version of Erich Remarque's first novel, the sequel, more dimly. Not certain I saw the movie, or perhaps cannot distinguish "All Quiet.." from so many other war films / novels such as "The Guns of August" and Hemingway's "A Farewell To Arms".

Good choices, all, considering life once again imitates Art in current history making events.

FTR I never liked the novel or movie but "A Separate Peace" set during WWII borrows heavily from Remarque's AQOTWF before 'falling down the stairs'.

I do recommend the anti-war books "Johnnie Got His Gun" and "The Execution of Private Eddie Slovak" but have not seen the movies.

[oops, forgot thread title. Next post is better.]

Last edited:
I have never watched a TV show twice. The only movies I've seen more than once are The Wizard of Oz and Casablanca, and that was years ago.

The only books I have read twice are The Ring Trilogy and Catch-22, and those readings were thirty years apart.

Music is the only thing I repeat. At the most extreme I heard Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band hundreds of times when it was the only record I owned.

Klystron said:
"Johnnie Got His Gun" and "The Execution of Private Eddie Slovak"
Johnnie, so-so movie; Execution , not popular at TAMU (Rudder Tower) where I post-doc'd, and "duller than dirt" on-screen...my recollection is falling asleep halfway through both the movie and the book. Books? The Good Soldier Schweik, Jaroslav Hasek, an unfinished masterpiece, still in my library, as is Johnnie...not so Eddie...I never throw books away.

Bystander said:
Johnnie, so-so movie; Execution , not popular at TAMU (Rudder Tower) where I post-doc'd, and "duller than dirt" on-screen...my recollection is falling asleep halfway through both the movie and the book. Books? The Good Soldier Schweik, Jaroslav Hasek, an unfinished masterpiece, still in my library, as is Johnnie...not so Eddie...I never throw books away.
Thanks for the info. I read 'Johnnie' and 'Eddie' long time ago. Speed read. Might dislike them now. WWII era "Catch 22" book and movie much better, though Heller's cynicism grates.

Did not like "Tin Drum". Strongly recommend Lothar-Gunther Buchheim's "Das Boot" novel and film. Watch director's cut in German. Compelling realistic war film true to novel. English version also good as Wolfgang Petersen had original cast voice both versions.

Likes epenguin and bhobba
Klystron said:
Lothar-Gunther Buchheim's "Das Boot" novel and film.
Yes!

Likes Klystron
Klystron said:
recommend Lothar-Gunther Buchheim's "Das Boot"
Sharks and Little Fish/Hai und Kleine Fisch(?sp), Wolfgang Ott; don't think it ever made the screen, may have inspired L-GB's work.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
WWGD said:
I think [Homey] was an extremely underrated show. I would laugh every time it showed as well as in the reruns. I wonder how a similar show would fare today.
I reckon The Academy should've had Homey waiting in the wings behind Chris Rock, then sneak out and execute his trademark when the latter made a too-offensive joke. (He would have been funnier than Will Smith...)

• Haha
Likes bhobba
Klystron said:
Did not like "Tin Drum".
Me neither, though I probably failed to understand it correctly. Young boy trying to squeeze up into his baby sitter's <ahem>. How on Earth did that get past the censors?

Klystron said:
Strongly recommend Lothar-Gunther Buchheim's "Das Boot" novel and film.
I watched the movie and then, much later, the TV series, mainly captivated by Lizzy Caplan who seems incredibly skilled at playing nutcases of varying severity. I was surprised when she turned up in True Blood.

But I wouldn't watch Das Boot again -- too depressing.

Likes Klystron
strangerep said:
Me neither, though I probably failed to understand it correctly. Young boy trying to squeeze up into his baby sitter's <ahem>. How on Earth did that get past the censors?
IDK. I cannot stomach Gunter Grass, never watched the film. Also dislike J.D. Salinger of "Crapper in the Rye" fame.
strangerep said:
I watched the movie and then, much later, the TV series, mainly captivated by Lizzy Caplan who seems incredibly skilled at playing nutcases of varying severity. I was surprised when she turned up in True Blood.
Oh wow. First I learned about the TV series. Thanks. I liked True Blood despite not being much of a fantasy fan. Anna Paquin always turns in brava performances despite sounding like Holly Hunter after crashing her car in J. G. Ballard's "Crash". Deep South and sexy with it.
strangerep said:
But I wouldn't watch Das Boot again -- too depressing.
Yep, no argument. Maybe next time I watch Kaptain-Lieutenant survives the war?

Last edited:
Klystron said:
IDK. I cannot stomach Gunter Grass, never watched the film.
I keep thinking he must have had something important to say, but,... (sigh).
Klystron said:
Anna Paquin always turns in brava performances
Yeah, I'd watch Anna Paquin in just about anything. It surprises/(disappoints?) me though, how tiny many famous actors are. Well, compared to me anyway. When I occasionally see them in real life I have to stifle a laugh. :oldwink:
Klystron said:
Maybe next time I watch Kaptain-Lieutenant survives the war?
I'll say nothing,... nuh...thing... (can't really do a Sgt Schultz impersonation without the voice.)

• Haha
Likes bhobba and Klystron
Seventy-five years old and I just got around to watching High Noon?! What else have I been missing?

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Bystander said:
Seventy-five years old and I just got around to watching High Noon?! What else have I been missing?
Shane?

Likes pinball1970 and bhobba
PeroK said:
Shane?
Cannot gag down Ladd; ever wonder where/why/how/who thinks TC can play Jack Reacher?

Likes gleem and hutchphd
Bystander said:
[...] who thinks TC can play Jack Reacher?
TC, of course, and most of the Church of Scientology when TC is in the room. o0)

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, DennisN and Bystander
strangerep said:
TC, of course, and most of the Church of Scientology when TC is in the room. o0)
I like TC One has to push past the culty stuff same with John Travolta
I hated Top Gun and the early stuff but he has been in some great films.
Born on the 4th July
Rain man
Vanilla Sky
A few good men - one of my all time faves
Collateral
Jack Reacher (I haven't read the book - Bruce Lee was small)
Edge of tomorrow (fun!)
Knight and day (lots of fun!)
War of the worlds...

Last edited:
Bystander said:
Cannot gag down Ladd; ever wonder where/why/how/who thinks TC can play Jack Reacher?
The guy they have in the series is huge. Alan Ritchson is 6' 4" and about 235 lbs and in great shape.
Good reviews for series one.

pinball1970 said:
I like TC One has to push past the culty stuff same Ruth John Travolta
I hated Top Gun and the early stuff but he has been in some great films.
Born on the 4th July
Rain man
Vanilla Sky
A few good men - one of my all time faves
Collateral
Jack Reacher (I haven't read the book - Bruce Lee was small)
Edge of tomorrow (fun!)
Knight and day (lots of fun!)
War of the worlds...
Concur, although I really like "Top Gun" despite the film's flaws. I would like to watch the recent "Top Gun" sequel if only to see TC reunite with Val Kilmer, now effectively mute due to illness.

First watched TC as a minor character in the original production of S.E. Hinton's teen novel "Outsiders". Cruise showed major promise as an actor among a stellar cast. "Risky Business" featured a fun energetic TC performance. His Ethan Hunt character in "Mission Impossible" film series remains memorable particularly for the great self-performed stunts and Cruise's intent serious expression.

Likes pinball1970
Klystron said:
great self-performed stunts
Danny Trejo won't do his own stunts now that he's "big" box office; he gets hurt, the whole crew's out of work, and he's not comfortable letting his ego get in the way of other people's livings.

Klystron said:
"Risky Business" featured a fun energetic TC performance.
Was TC in "Risky Business"?? I only remember Rebecca de Mornay. :oldwink:

Likes Klystron
PeroK said:
Shane?

I always had a soft spot for Support You're Local Sherif. The role was made for James Garner.

Thanks
Bill

Shawshank Redemption,
Jacob's Ladder,
I still force myself to watch Pink Floyd - The Wall every few years to remind myself of how different things were in the 1980's.

Likes bhobba and DennisN