Twenty years as a PF member: how many have been here that long?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
64 replies · 9K views
Who remembers downloading pictures of pretty girls in ASCII HEX dump format, then using a local utility (???) to turn it into a picture?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
Who remembers downloading pictures of pretty girls in ASCII HEX dump format, then using a local utility (???) to turn it into a picture?
Man, the internet was the Wild West of FREE girlie pics!
1675560294142.png

Yep, We were livin' in the future!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and anorlunda
pinball1970 said:
The clip is


I loved that show! LOL!
 
i recall writing my first (maybe last) program in machine language for a univac mark I, and joined PF about 40 years later.
 
The last serious piece of assembler code I wrote was in 1989 or thereabouts... My employer had a successful port of our Unix variant to the Motorola 88100, but to bring it up quickly we wrote strcpy and related functions in C as
Code:
while(*s1++ = *s2++);
and let the compiler take it from there.

Once the system was running I went back, looked at the pipeline structure of the microprocessor, and rewrote the byte copy routines in assembler with unrolled loops and picking up 32-bit words whenever possible (the 64-bit load/store instructions occupied two pipeline stages, so no benefit to using them). Several hundred lines of assembler to replace the single line of C code.... and one of only two times in my life that I coded a performance improvement that everyone could feel as the system booted.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman and Astronuc