Two bodies attracting via gravitation

In summary: , in summary, you need to find the speed of separation and the speed of approach in order to calculate the relative velocity.
Rats_N_Cats

Homework Statement

Say, there are two bodies, mass m1 and m2, initially at rest at infinite separation. They start accelerating towards each other because of gravity. Express the relative velocity of approach as a function of the distance between the two bodies.

Homework Equations

Laws of Motion, Law of Universal Gravitation, Conservation of Momentum and Energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the loss of gravitational potential energy should equal the gain in kinetic energy of the two bodies, so [itex]\frac{1}{2}(m_1 v_1^2 + m_2 v_2^2) = \frac{Gm_1 m_2}{r}[/itex]. Also, because of conservation of momentum, m1v1 = m2v2, because the two objects have zero initial momentum. But I can't figure out the velocities from these two; and I think that's what i need.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. Maybe you just need one more nudge. The second formula implies v2 = m1 v1 / m2. Substitute that into the energy equation and solve for v1...

Doing as suggested, I end up with the values for v1 and v2. Then the velocity of approach should be v1 + v2. I get for that [itex]v_1 + v_2 = \sqrt{\frac{2G(m_1 + m_2)}{r}}[/itex]. Is that correct?

When I calculate the problems for collision,
e=(speed of separation)/(speed of approach)

If two bodies are moving opposite directions, relative velocity is v1+v2.

If two bodies are moving same direction, relative velocity is v2-v1.

After collision two bodies need to separate. It means v2>v1.

The relative velocity is either v2 - v1 or v1 - v2.

The only time you would use v1 + v2 is if those are the speeds (not velocities) of two objects traveling in opposite directions.

Rats_N_Cats said:
Doing as suggested, I end up with the values for v1 and v2. Then the velocity of approach should be v1 + v2. I get for that [itex]v_1 + v_2 = \sqrt{\frac{2G(m_1 + m_2)}{r}}[/itex]. Is that correct?

Yes.

ehild

1. What is the definition of gravitational attraction between two bodies?

The gravitational attraction between two bodies is the force that pulls them towards each other due to their mass. This attraction is governed by the law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of attraction is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does the mass of the two bodies affect the strength of gravitational attraction?

The greater the mass of the two bodies, the stronger their gravitational attraction will be. This is because the force of attraction is directly proportional to the product of their masses. Therefore, two bodies with a larger combined mass will have a stronger gravitational pull than two bodies with a smaller combined mass.

3. What is the role of distance in gravitational attraction between two bodies?

The distance between two bodies plays a crucial role in the strength of their gravitational attraction. As the distance between two bodies increases, the force of attraction between them decreases. This is due to the inverse square relationship between distance and gravitational force, meaning that the force decreases exponentially as the distance increases.

4. Can two bodies with equal masses have different gravitational attraction?

Yes, two bodies with equal masses can have different gravitational attraction if the distance between them is different. This is because, as mentioned earlier, the distance between two bodies affects the strength of their gravitational pull. Therefore, two bodies with equal masses but different distances will have different gravitational attraction.

5. How does the law of universal gravitation apply to the Earth and the Moon?

The law of universal gravitation applies to the Earth and the Moon in the same way it applies to any other two bodies in the universe. The Earth's mass and the Moon's mass are directly proportional to their gravitational attraction, and the distance between them affects the strength of their gravitational pull. This is why the Moon orbits around the Earth, as the force of Earth's gravity keeps the Moon in orbit.