What Formulas Are Essential for Solving Two-Dimensional Motion Problems?

• Thread starter gary_shuford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation includes a request for a list of formulas for solving two dimensional motion problems, a question about why two projectiles dropped at the same time hit the ground at the same time despite having different horizontal velocities, and a plea for help with two specific problems involving angular velocity and projectile motion. The person also provides a resource that may be helpful for solving these problems.
gary_shuford
Im getting really frustrated I've figured a way to get the right answer for a lot of two dimensional motion problems but i cannnott figure out what formulas to use when o use them can anyone give me a list of formulas used to solve these types of problems

another question is Why do two horizontal projectiles dropped from the same height at the same time hit the ground at the same time even if their horizontal velocities are different

can sopmeone pleasee help
An athlete in the Olympics throws ashot put. The shot put is in the air for 1.89 seconds and lands 6.7 meters away horizontally. Calculate the intial vertical and horizontal components of the shot puts angular velocity. (horizontal velocity = Vi (cos 0), initialy veritcal = Vi(sin 0)
i have no idea where to start in this one but

A golf ball lands 123.0 m horizontally away from its position after being stuck. If the ball has an angular velocity of 40.0 m./s and is in the air a total of 6.0 seconds calculate the angle at which the ball was launched

please i have no idea people won't answer cause i can't show work but i don't know what to dooooo pleaseeee somone help me

Physics news on Phys.org

I can certainly understand your frustration with solving two-dimensional motion problems. It can be challenging to know which formulas to use and how to apply them correctly. However, I would advise against relying on a list of formulas, as it is important to understand the underlying principles and concepts behind the formulas in order to effectively solve problems.

In general, two-dimensional motion problems involve objects moving in both the horizontal and vertical directions at the same time. The key formulas that are commonly used in these types of problems are the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the horizontal and vertical directions. These equations take into account factors such as initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time.

For the specific problem of two horizontal projectiles dropped from the same height, the reason they hit the ground at the same time is due to the fact that they both experience the same acceleration due to gravity in the vertical direction. This means that their vertical displacements and velocities will be the same, even if their horizontal velocities are different.

For the problem involving an athlete throwing a shot put, you can use the equation for displacement in the vertical direction to calculate the initial vertical component of the shot put's velocity. You can also use the equation for displacement in the horizontal direction to calculate the initial horizontal component of the shot put's velocity.

Similarly, for the golf ball problem, you can use the equation for displacement in the horizontal direction to calculate the angle at which the ball was launched. This equation takes into account the initial horizontal velocity, time, and horizontal displacement.

In general, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the relevant variables and equations, and then apply the equations correctly. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the motion and to check your answers.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem-solving! Remember, practice makes perfect and don't hesitate to seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

What is two-dimensional motion?

Two-dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in two directions, usually represented by the x and y axes. It takes into account both the horizontal and vertical components of an object's motion.

What is a vector in two-dimensional motion?

A vector in two-dimensional motion is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of motion.

How is velocity calculated in two-dimensional motion?

In two-dimensional motion, velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken. The displacement is the straight line distance from the starting point to the ending point, and the time is the total duration of the motion.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a specific type of two-dimensional motion where an object is launched into the air and moves in a curved path due to the force of gravity. It follows a parabolic trajectory and has both a horizontal and vertical component of motion.

What is the difference between distance and displacement in two-dimensional motion?

Distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement refers to the straight line distance from the starting point to the ending point. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.