Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two functions in two variables

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    Sorry, I don't know what category to put this in.

Here's my problem:

I have some corresponding values for two variables a and b.

I also know that
    [tex]a_n = 2a_{n-1} + b_{n-1}[/tex]
    [tex]b_n = b_{n-1} + a_n[/tex]
    for all a and b.

I need to find functions [tex]f_1[/tex] and [tex]f_2[/tex] in terms of n so that [tex]f_1(n) = a_n[/tex] and [tex]f_2(n) = b_n[/tex]

I don't really know where to start. I tried recombining the first two equations in myriad ways but I didn't get anywhere there. I have figured out that this would be pretty tough without the sample values to generate the others, and that the answers will be in general form because n = 1 could refer to any of the pairs of values, although all of them can be generated from a single pair. What do I do?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

Why not start by telling us your sample values?

One way to do this problem if you know linear algebra is to express the equations a_n and b_n each in terms of a_(n-1) and b_(n-1). This is then a simple Markov chain problem. Luckily the matrix you get is diagonalizable, so its powers will yield an easy algebraic expression.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  4. Mar 4, 2006 #3
    Sorry, should have included that. my sample values are:
    a = 1 when b =1 and a = 3 when b = 4(I know the second is unneccessary). The entire sequence can be generated from these values, though this point is not neccessarily n = 1. This is why the answer should be in general form.
  5. Mar 4, 2006 #4
    1) [tex]a_{n} = 2a_{n-1}+b_{n-1}[/tex]
    2) [tex]b_{n} = b_{n-1} + a_{n}[/tex]

2) => [tex]a_{n} = b_{n}-b_{n-1}[/tex]

Put that into 1 to get

[tex]b_{n}-b_{n-1} = 2a_{n-1}+b_{n-1}[/tex]
    3) [tex]b_{n} = 2(a_{n-1}+b_{n-1})[/tex]

2) => [tex]a_{n-1} = b_{n-1}-b_{n-2}[/tex]

3) => [tex]b_{n} = 2(b_{n-1}-b_{n-2}+b_{n-1}) = 4b_{n-1}-2b_{n-2}[/tex]

You need 2 initial values for b, one you're given, the other you generate from your initial condition on a. Now you can just use the equation for b and equation 2 to get a's equation, which will also need 2 initial values, one you're given, the other you get from b's initial value.
  6. Mar 4, 2006 #5

Science Advisor

The general equation looks irritating to work out by hand, involving a lot of sqrt 2 and large expressions, unless my calculator is missing a major simplification somewhere.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  7. Mar 4, 2006 #6
    Thanks for your help!(I really should have seen that. It must be getting too late) Unfortunately the nature of the answer shows this series is not what I am looking for. I'll keep trying!
  8. Mar 4, 2006 #7

Science Advisor

What do you mean?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?